Chapter 29: Rationale

Recap:

Two months after the accident was arduous for the characters.

J Hope was hospitalized because of his love for Kae Il.

Kae Il has to leave Seoul to save her life.

And Jin is hating himself for being a coward. Coward, eh?

"Park Kae Il, I.. I.. I l~"

"If you'll leave.... I'll... I'll... I'll.."

"I love you, Park Kae Il."

Will Kae Il leave? Will Jin stop her?

*

Chapter 29: Rationale

"Oh, dear, sorry for the long wait. I had a hard time finding an empty cubicle at the comfort room." Startstruck, Jin and Kae Il went silent as her mother's friend appeared.

"I-it's alright, aunty." She smiled at the lady, hiding the pain and distrust in her eyes. No, she trusts Jin. But today? She doesn't know. She felt bad at herself. Jin is a good friend. And she knows he would always will. It's just that Jin mentioned love. Love! Love again! She doesn't want to love or to be loved anymore! Thanks to Tae Hyung and the man she used to address 'dad'.

Flashback:

(author's note: please don't get confused. Kae Il's flashback may contain normal and italicized words but they are all included in her flashback. It's quite long but I hope you read every detail of it. Thank you.)

Kae Il's POV

It's been two days since I was confined here inside the white room doing nothing, just wait for the nurse to check if I'm okay and scream her name whenever my head aches again. I saw my reflection on the stainless bowl beside my bed. My hair was now in line with my ears. It was levelled just above my hip before. I also noticed the bruises and scars on my face, I have no comment. I look like a battered wife.

I looked at my hand, it's with tubes and wrapped by a bandage. My wounds. Every time I see scratches on my body, I felt horrible. Not because I look ugly now, but because whenever I see them, I remember the man I encountered the day before our fieldtrip.

He told me that I should practice hiding because we'll play games on the day of our fieldtrip. I regret I didn't mind him. He was wearing super thick-lensed eyeglasses with a hospital mask on his face so I thought he was mentally retarded. But I've seen him at Bokgo Company. He really is not joking. And as far as I could remember, I collapsed by the time he covered my nose with a white cloth. When I woke up, I found myself lying alone in one of the rooms.

"You must have regret that you lived, haven't you?" I heard a smirk.

A small fire suddenly lit beside the window three meters away from me.

"Til we meet again, Park Kae Il." He said and left. I can't do anything at that moment. I felt weak and dizzy because of the chemical that has stayed in my nose. I haven't had the energy to stand yet. Also, I thought that the fire would only last in a minute because the man didn't put any gasoline or whatever on the floor to make the room as hot as the toasting oven. But then, the fire reached a piece of firework wrapper and the flame went bigger. Just as I realized that I'm inside a room for the repacking of the fireworks. My eyes widened. I tried to get up as hard as I could but I ended up falling on my knees.

Mom. Dad. Siblings. Where are you?

I held on the wall as it served as my guide to the exit of the dark room but unfortunately, the fire arrived in the door first. I shouted for help but the fire seemed to have reached the rooms where the firework pellets are made so the exploding sounds overlapped my poor desperate voice.