7.Alone

Vanessa's POV

I can't believe it The Jace Herondale kissed me! Yesterday's dance was amazing. At first I was really shy and we were just talking. Okay, mostly he was just talking and I was nodding my head like a bobblehead to whatever he said. Then he asked me if I wanted to dance and I said yes. After that somehow he was kissing me. I am so happy. It feels so great when your crush likes you back. I feel like screaming my lungs out from every rooftop that Jace Herondale kissed me! Then a nasty thought enters my head, Jace is a player and what if I am just one of his games. What if he doesn't really like me? I push such thoughts out of my head and try to focus on the positive things.

Clary must have left early yesterday because I couldn't find her anywhere in the party. That reminds me, I should ask her why. I slowly open my eyes and let them adjust to the bright light of the sun. Then I push myself up and rub my eyes sleepily. I slept quite late last night, so I'm very sleepy. I trudge my way to the bathroom and brush my teeth. Then I take a cold water bath to wake myself up, more fully. I comb my straight blonde hair and tie it in my usual high ponytail. I look at myself in the mirror and see dark bags under my eyes. Ugh, I grumble to myself that I look like a raccoon and I put some makeup to cover it up. When I finish covering up most of if, or rather as much as I can cover, I realize that Clary is still sleeping and that I should probably wake her up.

I walk to Clary's bed and shake her awake gently. She groans and says, "5 more minutes mom," in a voice laced heavily with sleep.

I roll my eyes and say, "I am Vanessa not your mom and if you don't get up now you will be late for class."

She jerks up when I say that and checks the time on her phone. When she realizes how late she is, her eyes widen and she scrambles out of bed. She runs into the bathroom to take a shower. I already took mine so I just sit on her bed and wait for her. I decide not to tell her about Jace who is officially my boyfriend. He asked me yesterday and of course I said yes, but I am not ready to tell too many people about it.

She comes out of the shower in five minutes which is record time. Like, wow how did she take a bath so fast. She runs a brush through her fiery red hair and scowls when it gets stuck in her hair. I laugh softly and she turns and glares at me. Finally she gives up and just ties her hair into a messy bun. Actually I think she was attempting a regular bun, but it looks messy because her hair is quite tangled, so I'd call it a messy bun. She is wearing a white shirt with ripped blue jeans. I realise that she put her shirt on inside out.

"Clary, you are wearing your shirt, the wrong way," she looks down at herself and grumbles something about morning people. She goes back in to the bathroom to change it. She comes out in a few moments and I ask her, "Clary you don't look like you are doing too well, is something wrong?"

"I'm just tired after yesterday's dance!" She snaps at me, irritatedly.

"I was just asking," I say, and think to myself, somebody woke up on the wrong side of bed.

"Anyway, speaking of the dance, why did you leave early?" I ask, to change the topic because it looks like that topic's making her grumpy.

She looks down, regaining her composure and says, "I wasn't feeling well." Oh, but that answer still doesn't seem completely true to me. I decide not to ask too many questions since she's already in a sour mood. So, we walk in silence to our classes. We both have the same class and I sit next to her. The Latin teacher enters and begins talking about something. I just zone out what she is saying and turn to look at Clary. I place my hand on hers, reassuringly and say softly, "You know you can tell me anything right? I don't think that the reason you left last night was because you were sick. Please just tell me why you left."