27.Blaze

Clary's POV

That warlock who had mind controlled us before now has a knife in front of my neck and another one at my stomach. I got to know that his name is Blaze. Cool name, huh? Although I'm sure that that isn't his real name. Anyway, we're getting off topic.

Jace looks my way and his jaw clenches. His eyes show a blazing fire that signifies that he's seething inside.

"Don't you dare hurt her," he says, his voice deadly calm, like the calm before the storm.

"I won't, at least not now. If you don't move," the warlock says. To clarify his point he nicks my neck with the blade a little and a thin line of scarlet flows down my neck. I try my best not to show any pain on my face, to reassure Jace, but I'm not entirely sure that I succeeded. Jace tenses up once again and puts his hands up, palms facing Blaze.

"Okay, I won't. Just, don't hurt her," he says.

***

Now we're all sitting in a stupid jail cell like thing except unlike most jail cells, this one is dusty and dirty and stinks worse than a skunk's butt. So I'm sure you can understand how frustrated we'd be. And the tight metal chains around our wrists and ankles aren't helping the situation. Jace has been pulling at his chains for the past half hour making loud rattling sounds.

"Clary?" Simon calls, raising his voice to be heard over the noise of the chains rattling.

"Hmm?" I reply.

"Uh... This is probably not the best time to be doing this, but anyway we have nothing better to do. So... tell me something about yourself."

"I love drawing and... black coffee," I say with a laugh that earns one from Simon too. "What else would you like to know?"

"Hmmm... How about, if you weren't a Shadowhunter, what would you have liked to be when you grew up?"

"I would have loved to be an artist," I say, with a tinge of melancholy. If I hadn't been a Shadowhunter none of this wouldn't have happened. I wouldn't have been heartbroken and the world wouldn't have been in danger. But I know I would do it all over again, because whatever little time I spent with Jace, is worth it. Everything is worth that. Even putting the world in jeopardy. Yes, I know I sound selfish, but love does that to you.

"Oh, cool. I would have been a musician, probably in a band or something," Simon replies.

"Yeah, I know," I say before thinking about it. Oh god! I shouldn't know that. He doesn't remember me, so it would make no sense whatsoever to him that I know that. I want to smack my forehead for that stupid impulsive action, but I just sit still, hoping h overlooks that. Unfortunately he doesn't.

"You do...? How? I didn't tell that to anyone but Izzy." I wrack my brain to come up with something. Some reason. Some excuse. Finally I get one, its not the best, but it'll have to do for now.

"I, uh...had a crush on you and I used to secretly stare at you sometimes. I saw that you looked at the guitar longingly. So yeah..." I try to build up the acting by looking at the ground somewhat embarrassed.

Simon just laughs good naturedly and gives me one of his goofy grins which I return with a soft grateful smile. I sigh in relief that he bought that. I notice from the corner of my eye that Jace looks even more frustrated.