8.Controlled

Jace's POV

Its been a really long time since I dated someone for more than a day. With Vanessa its been 2 days already. I love how she is so shy even though she is very beautiful. I love her sapphire colored eyes and her sweet melodious laugh. I think she just might be the one. The one who opens up my heart and wriggles her way into it.

We are eating lunch together because I asked her to. We laugh and talk and she gets along quite well with Izzy, Magnus, Simon and Alec too.

Lunch time gets over and we walk away to our respective classes.

Vanessa's POV

Jace is actually a good guy under all his good looks and ego. He covers his true personality by behaving like a jerk, most of the time. I don't know why he does that. He is such a sweet guy, I'm sure everybody would love him if he shows his true self. He's popular now, but if he takes down the barriers in front him, cloaking his good side, then he would not only be popular, but also loved.

I walk to class and take my seat, towards the back and near the window. I don't want the teacher to catch me not paying attention. I look out the window for the entire time observing the thick blanket of fog filling the air outside and the sunlight falling on it, making it seem like a yellow, glistening dust. The sea of grass outside looks so lush and fresh and I imagine how it would feel to run barefoot on it, happily and completely carefree. The sensation of the blades of grass tickling the bottom of my feet.

Then a loud ringing noise stops my calm imagination and makes me flinch at the unwanted noise. I pick up my bag and walk to my next class. The next class is rune drawing and Clary has it too. So I am looking forward to it. I go to the end of the class where Clary and I usually sit and wait for her. The class begins but she doesn't come. Now that I think about it I didn't see her at lunch either. I am starting to get worried. A wave of panic washes over me and I dig my nails into my palms to stop myself from screaming. What if something happened to her? My heart rate quickens and my palms start sweating. The last time I didn't find her she was kidnapped. I need to look for her. I ask the teacher, "May I use the washroom?" Somehow managing to keep my voice from wavering and sounding desperate and helpless, very much like I'm feeling inside.

She replies "Okay you may go, Vanessa." I sigh in relief and quickly exit the class.

I walk out of the academy and run into the forest. I stop running because I hear something behind me. My panicked state is heightening my senses and making me extra careful and alert. I whirl around and see Jace. What's he doing here? Reading my mind somehow, he replies, "I saw you running out of the academy, so I came to check on you. Is everything okay?" He asks, his brows arched in a concerned frown.

I reply while panting slightly and talking a little too fast, "My friend Clary is missing. I am going to look for her."

He says in a authoritative voice, "No WE are going to look for her." He grabs my hand and I feel comforted by just having him next to me.

We look at each other and nod, running forward. We keep running. I focus on just putting one foot in front of the other without tripping or falling. I don't know for how long I keep this up, but I skid to a halt when I see a flash of red in front of me. Jace must have also noticed it because he also stops.

Clary's POV

I turn around and look into red eyes that are so captivating. As I lose myself in those eyes, my legs turn  involuntarily and start walking towards the opposite direction. I see Vanessa and Jace looking at me with widened eyes. My hands use my Shadowhunter speed and I knock Vanessa unconscious by giving her a hard backhand slap. I don't want to do this but my hands are moving by themselves. I try to stop myself from moving, but its like trying to push a wall. Pointless and you end up hurting yourself instead. It feels as though I am in someone else's body and I am just a spectator, not allowed and not able to do anything.