25. Spying part 2

Jace's POV

I barely slept all night because my thoughts were completely consumed by a certain red head. I really want her to myself. I want to be able to call her mine, but if she needs some space and time then that's exactly what I'll give her.

In the morning, the bright sunlight filtering through the windows wakes me up. I stretch and walk over to the window and bask in the warm light. I turn around happily to see Clary fast asleep. Her beautiful face looks calm and serene. I push a rebellious lock of her thick red hair out of her face, letting my hand linger a little longer than necessary. I smile at the sight of her, curled up into a small ball in her blankets and walk to the bathroom to get ready.

***

Alec, Magnus, Izzy, Simon, Clary and I sit around the table to discuss our progress. Aurora, (if you don't remember who she is, she's the warlock who's house they're staying at. Magnus's friend) brings us sweet smelling pancakes for breakfast. I slather mine with maple syrup and pierce my fork into it. I take a bite and sigh contentedly. We all gobble it up because it tastes heavenly.

"Aurora, this is amazing. Right guys?" Izzy says. We reply with vigorous nods or Hmmm because our mouths are full.

"Thank you so much. Anyway, I'll leave you to your discussion." Aurora says, smiling her warm smile and leaves.

"Alec and I checked with many of my friends and they said that there is no other way to break the bond," Magnus says, getting right to the point. At that, everyone's faces fall and unhappy sighs are heard. I had been expecting this, so I just nod somberly.

"So now, it is more important than ever that we find out about that warlock who's leading them and his weaknesses. We are going to have to spy on them again. So, who's up for it this time?" Alec asks.

Clary and rat face raise their hands. I narrow my eyes suspiciously at Simon and I too raise my hand.

"Okay. More the merrier, I suppose," Alec says.

"Everybody else can relax for now because there's nothing else that can be done." Izzy and Magnus nod, slightly relieved, but also frustrated that all they can do is wait.

"I'm going to go train, anybody wanna join?" Izzy says.

"Yeah, I'll train with you," Alec replies. They both leave the room and Magnus goes to his room to do whatever magicky stuff he usually does.

That leaves Clary, Simon and I. Simon is talking animatedly to Clary and she too seems to be quite interested in what he's saying. There is a glint of excitement in her eyes, but I can also see a twinge of sadness in their depths. Her emerald green eyes hold a deep melancholy that wouldn't be noticed by others, but lately I have been observing her extra carefully. I winder why she us so sad. Did simon do something? Or did someone else?

I go to the room to pack my stuff for the spy trip, all the while feeling a sudden unrequited burning anger towards Simon. I decide to go back to my room and sort it out because I don't want to do something impulsively and regret it later. Especially not with Clary around. Wait, is this something to do with Clary? ...Jealousy? Am I really getting jealous of rat face? No way, I'm Jace Herondale. I do not get jealous of people. They get jealous of me. I try to think about something else, but I can't. All I can think about is Clary.

Each time I think of her, I get a warm feeling in my heart. Every time I see her fiery red curls, I want to run my fingers through those silky strands. And when she looks at me with that innocent look in her wide green eyes and her full pink lips slightly parted, I want to grab her face and crash my lips to hers. I want to hug her and kiss her cheek and her forehead. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I want her to be mine. Forever. I can't believe it either, but I'm sure of it. I want a permanent relationship with her.