14.The attack

Vanessa's POV

I walk to Damon's room to just hang out because I am getting bored to death. When I stand outside about to knock I hear,
"...ugghhh I am so mad right now. I can't believe you did that. How can you be that stupid-" he stops abruptly when I cough loudly. I curse my luck and dismiss any ideas of ever becoming a spy. He opens the door and looks at me questioningly but there's also another emotion in his eyes that I can't decipher.

"Hey, uh- I just wanted to hang out. Sorry, I uh- didn't mean to eavesdrop," I say, stuttering nervously. I don't know why but somehow being near him makes me all the more nervous and open at the same time. Don't even ask me how that's possible.

He smiles and says, "Hey. No problem I uh-talk to myself sometimes," he says shyly and immediately changes the topic, "So what do ya wanna do?"

I shrug. He takes my hand and pulls me to one of the other rooms in the mansion. I enter and my mouth goes dry. This room has everything! A pool table, chess, table tennis and so many other games I don't even know the names of. I look at Damon with my eyes as big as plates and my jaw still dropped on the ground. "Uh- pretty cool huh?" He says scratching the back of his head nervously.

"Cool? This is amazing! The person keeping us captive here must really not be good at this captor stuff but I'm not complaining." I say grinning like an idiot. He grins back at me equally foolishly. "Let's play pool," he says with an evil gleam in his eyes.

"Uh," I sat biting my lip nervously. "I'm not any good at pool," I continue honestly.

"Oh don't worry, I'm not any good either," he replies, waving me off. And that my friends is the biggest lie ever uttered.

He beat me 3 games in a row. He accomplishes all sorts of skills and surpasses his own high score while I manage to hit not one ball and whack myself on the head with the "pool stick thing" I don't the name of.

"I give up," I say dejectedly.

"Hey, don't give up," he says coming closer to me and placing his hand on my shoulder. His palm is warm and feels amazing on my shoulder. I shrug it off. "I suck," I say, pouting.

"Okay then I'll teach to be as great as I am," he says confidently. He grabs one stick and walks over to me. He hands it to me and shows me how to grip it properly. "...and if you hold it like that you will never miss." I try to hold it how he's asking me to, but I can't seem to get it. He puts his hands on mine from behind me and adjusts my grip on the stick. His close proximity is making me a little light headed and tingly. His hand on my hand is coursing electricity through me. I take a deep breath to calm myself but end up inhaling his scent instead. He has a deep woody, vanilla smell to him, which I absolutely love. "Okay so move your arm forward like this," he whispers in my ear, sending shivers down my spine. I do as he instructs and I finally manage to execute a proper shot.

I grin wildly and do a small victory dance. He chuckles and grins back at me. I throw my arms around his neck and hug him tightly. "Thank you! Thank you!" He stiffens and I mentally whack myself on the head. He doesn't want to hug you, you idiot! Then he gently puts his arms around me and I love the feeling. "Anything for you," he replies sincerely. Those three words just fill my heart with warmth and happiness.

I feel so safe and secure in his arms, as though nothing could ever hurt me. Then he lets go and I step out of his embrace, a scarlet blush colouring my cheeks. We hear a noise coming from outside and run to see what it is.

I see the gate open and I gasp is shock. Then I smile thinking that we can now escape from this place. Then all my hopes are crushed when a horde of half man half donkey creatures enter. Their bodies look like that of a donkey but they have heads of a human. The sight is so weird I almost laugh but that feeling vanishes completely when I see a raw loathing and immense anger in their red glowing eyes. They look furious and more than willing to end our lives. I instinctively take a step back and feel my heart contract with fear. The fear gripping me tightens when at least fifty more creatures enter and the gate closes once and for all. I see Damon shouting at me to go inside and get help and weapons.