22.His darkest days

Vanessa's POV

Another day has passed and I hate myself for not being able to wake up. I try for the millionth time to open my eyes, but it just doesn't happen. Now I feel pangs of hunger hitting me. My stomach is grumbling so loudly that I'd be embarrassed if I want in a coma. My throat feels so dry, it might as well be sandpaper. I know that I need to get up, but I don't know how to.

Suddenly an idea pops into my head. The idea is kind of stupid, but I have nothing better anyway. So I decide to give it a shot. So, instead of trying to open my eyes, I try to shut them tighter. I try once and it fails. My eyelids don't even budge. I try again and this time I put all my strength into it. I squeeze my eye lids together and it- it happens. I want to squeal with delight, but as you already know I can't. I keep squeezing them until it hurts and then I let go all of a sudden.

My eyes like flutter open and I see bright light. I squint a little and wonder if I'm dead. Then slowly my eyes get accustomed to the light and I can open them fully. Everything looks blurry, but at least my eyes are open. Yay! Again it takes a few moment for everything to come into focus. I notice that I'm in one of the rooms of the mansion and I sure as hell can't pinpoint which one because they're all the same. What I am surprised about is that I'm alone. Okay, not just surprised but also disappointed.

There is no one with me. That hurts a little. Does no one care whether I'm dead or alive. Does no one care enough to check on me. I push such thoughts out of my head. I'm sure they care, they're probably just busy.

I try to get up, but the world starts doing somersaults around me. I start getting dizzy, so I just sit up on the bed. I arms and legs feel so numb. Its such an odd feeling. Its as though they aren't even there, or they aren't mine and I have no control over them.

I press my fingers together and wait until I can feel again. I press them and massage them to regain proper blood circulation. Once I complete that, I pinch myself just to be sure. "Ow!" I yelp, in a throaty voice. Okay, my arms aren't numb any more. I grip the bed and push myself onto my feet. I have no control of my feet and they are so wobbly. My knees are shaking and can't even hold my own weight.

I sit back on the bed and stretch my legs. I bend my knees, twist my ankles and do whatever other exercises I know. Then when I deem myself ready, I push myself back onto my feet. My knees wobble a little, but I manage to stay upright. I stumble a little at first, but then I slowly get the hang of it. I then walk towards the kitchen.

***

I eat to my heart's content and rub my stomach while sighing contentedly. Now, what should I do? I decide to go find everyone else. First I check Jace's room. Why him first, well it is the closest to the kitchen. No other reason. I find him missing. Huh? Then I move onto Clary's room. In Clary's room I find a message written on a small piece of paper.

Hey Vanessa,

If you're reading this then that means you're awake and that's great.

I have to go and help stop those creatures. I'm really sorry for leaving you behind, but I didn't have any other choice. If you can, find a way out of that mansion. Sorry again.