40

Sunday

Camila's POV

The morning passed by and it's now our last afternoon before going back to Miami. Even though we're still close to home and we have beaches there, it's almost a completely different world here. We found a little beach access with nearly anybody in sight either way across the shore. It's so chaotic with the Miami crowds at home but here, you can actually enjoy the place. So, we're making the most of having an empty beach while we still have it. 

My skin starts to get too hot from the beaming sun we are sitting under and I don't want to go back into the water. Quite a predicament you're in Camila... I open my eyes and look at the other girls, Mani and Dinah are laying on their stomachs on a towel and Lauren is sitting on the chair next to me.

"Anybody up for a walk? It's too hot outside to sit around for this long." I stand up, hoping it'll get somebody to come with me. Lauren extends her arms, motioning for me to help her up and I do so. "Thanks guys, I now know how much you care about me." I playfully glare at the other two girls. I hear a light snore come from one of them and realize that they fell asleep. 

We make our way down the beach, talking and picking up cool looking shells as we go. I don't know what I did to deserve a best friend like this and I definitely don't want to ruin it, but my heart and my brain have been fighting each other for so long now over whatever it is I have for her. Having this internal battle with myself almost seems worse than having her be mad at me or whatever the worst-case scenario for this could be. 

"Hey Lauren, do you think we could talk about something really important?"

"Anything Camz. Shoot." My heart flutters a little at the name. 

Tell her Camila, stop stalling.

"It's kind of weird and I don't know how you'd respond. I-I don't want you to hate me or anything."

"What's wrong, you can tell me anything." She has no idea about the bomb I'm about to drop on her. 

Focus.

"Um- Well, do you remember when I told you guys about my crush that may not be into girls?"

"Oh yeah, that flop. How is he doing, any progress with that?"

"Wanna know the truth about this person?" She nods her head with a confused look. "It's not a guy. I like this beautiful woman and I don't think she's attracted to women, that's why I have no shot at being with them. She's in no way a flop or a dud though, she's the exact opposite." I look into her eyes to try and see her reaction, but nothing in them changes.

"Were you scared that I'd judge you Camz? It's fine if you're in love with a woman, why didn't you tell me? You know that we're all fine with Dinah and Normani being together, why would we treat you any different?"  

"I wasn't scared to tell you that I like a girl. I just didn't know how exactly to say it."

"Aww I'm sorry." She pulls me in for a hug. "You have to tell me all about this girl. I want to know if she's the right one for you." She says as she pulls away and looks at me again. 

"I wish she was, but I don't think she's the right one for me if she doesn't like girls."

"Whatever. What's she like?" Oh the thousands of things I could say about the girl standing next to me. The human embodiment of perfection and all I needed in life. 

"She's beautiful. Her hair and her eyes really stand out so much. Her eyes take my breath away every time I look into them, but the best part of her is her mind. I love the way it works, she's so creative and intelligent that she makes me feel as smart as a second grader." I could go on and on. I didn't realize that we had stopped walking until right now. She turned to face me and is now looking at me with a smile that I happily reciprocate. She looks so angelic right now.

"She sounds amazing." I nod in agreement. 

"What's her name?" I catch her eyes wander down to my lips and I instinctively brought my bottom lip between my teeth for a brief moment as my eyes wander to hers. 

"Lauren," I whispered before closing my eyes and slowly leaning in towards her. She met me halfway with the most soft and welcoming kiss I've ever had. My stomach feels like somebody set free a thousand butterflies inside. She started gently caressing my side lovingly before carefully pulling away. I open my eyes and watch her do the same a second later. I'm in pure bliss right now. I'm on cloud nine and I finally told her.

Oh no! What if she says that was a mistake. She looks happy right now but people change their minds. I don't think I could survive a hit to the heart like that.

She seems to notice my inner struggle and starts giggling softly before wrapping my hand with mine. "That was amazing, Camz," and we continue our walk back to the girls. Right before we get there, Lauren turns to look at me. "Dinah isn't the only one that's bi by the way." She winks and runs to the other girls, leaving me slightly behind thinking about what that means.