71

Narrator's POV

An hour goes by and the two girls are still talking about their past. Lucy managed to accidentally go off track in her plans to explain her side of the story when she began talking about the early years in their friendship.

To her surprise, Lauren is beginning to feel less angry as she starts to see the Lucy she remembered when they were in elementary school. She is seeing the quirky girl that always got sidetracked and always made light of a difficult situation. Lucy has a little glint in her eye as she reminisces over those years.

Then she remembers why she came here. She instantly drops her faint smile and replaces it with a dull, yet stern look. Lucy picks up on the sudden change in Lauren's attitude and stops talking momentarily.

"Are you okay, did I say something wrong?" The other girl asks, wondering if she is ruining her only shot in talking to Lauren.

"Yes. I guess not, but you're avoiding the whole reason I'm here. I don't want to hear about anything we've discussed so far." Lucy can't help but frown in disappointment at Lauren's response. As much as it stings, she does have a point.

Flashback

Lauren, Lucy, and Vero finally arrive at Dinah's house for the relatively small party for the celebration of it being their last day being freshman in high school. They make their initial greetings and find their way to the cooler fully stocked with beers. Once they settle in, drinking away until they start to feel a buzz, Dinah comes over with a warm greeting and hug for everybody. "Hey guys, thank you for coming. We're playing a few rounds of truth or dare upstairs if you want to join?" She proposes the idea and swiftly walks off.

"I don't think that's a good idea. Last time we played a game of truth or dare, I had to go skinny dipping in the lake." Lauren tries to reason with her friends.

"Okay, first of all, that was not skinny dipping. You still had a bra and underwear on. And second, I think it'll be fun. It looks like some of the guys on the basketball team are playing and I'm down to make them do crazy shit." Lucy states before downing the rest of her drink and grabbing another for later.

"Okay, fine. If you want to play, I will join... But only for a few rounds. How about you Vero?" Lauren caves, way too easily.

"I'm good with whatever. Being in a room with a bunch of hot guys doesn't sound horrible right now." They all laugh before linking arms and running upstairs.

~~~

"Dinah, truth or dare?" Ariana decides to direct her turn towards the tall polynesian girl. She obviously picks dare, being the girl she is. "I dare you to... Go downstairs and sing your favorite disney song at the top of your lungs." Dinah quickly jumps to her feet and passes off her drink to the closest person before she makes her way to the staircase.

"Open your eyes, let's begin. Yes, it's really me, it's Maui, breathe it in. I know it's a lot, the hair, the bod." She sings as she poofs her hair and flexes her arms. "When you're staring at a demigod... What can I say except you're welcome" She starts all-out dancing as she continues on with the song. As interesting as her performance is, most people continued doing what they were before she came downstairs. She concludes it with an enthusiastic "And thank you!" and they all file back into the bedroom to play more truth or dare.

After a couple of turns, they've gotten through everybody in the circle and everybody is starting to feel the effects of the alcohol. Lauren is picked by the annoying guy on the lacrosse team and inwardly cowers as he says her name. She won't let this stop her mojo though, and like her friend, chose the dare.