{1} Sight is for the fortunate

REWRITTEN JULY 2020

The Voices.

Its kind of difficult to sleep when you've lived my life. It sounds silly doesnt it? A blind boy with insomnia? Well, maybe not too silly now that I'm thinking out loud but still a bit strange.
I've stayed up for hours at a time, tossing and turning, sticking one leg out from under the covers then quickly moving it again because of cold sweats. But what makes it all absolutely dreadful is the voices. I only really hear them at night when I do sleep and it really, really sucks. I have yet to mention it to mother, and sometimes I feel bad for keeping it from her but she already has enough on her plate. Her only son blind AND hearing voices? C'mon now.

"Fraaank," I heard mother call out from down the hall. I quickly sat up and stretched my arms, yawning at the lack of sleep. "That's my que," I mumbled, turning my body and pressing the soles of my feet on the hard cold wooden floor.

Today was my first day of public high school. Im a Sophomore starting today. I've been homeschooled all my life, but just a few years ago they placed a program in the school for a physically and mentally disabled. Though I'm not mentally challenged, my case is still pretty weird. So before the year started the people at my local highschool who ran the program offered me a deal. I was able to sit in class and listen all I want for the social aspects of it, but I had to report back after school for extra lessons to a tutor who specializes with blind people, so I can get the proper education I need. And the fact that I have the opportunity to befriend anyone it astounding to me, I've never really had any friends before so hopefully people will be nice? And I'm not talking about the pity type of nice either. ya' know, feeling bad for me and talking to me just because of my disability.  But over the years I think I've grown rather independent.

"Ah yes, Frank......

....

.......Lero?"

"Iero." I corrected, pushing my glasses back and adjusting my cane in front of me.

"Yes, and I'm Principal Vasquez. I'm happy to have you here..."

"Thank you, I sure am g-glad to be here," I grinned.

"Well Mr.Iero, I have your schedule here. And I've asked a member of our Welcoming Committee help you around."

"Oh n-nice," I gave a nod of understanding, even though I had no freakin idea what he was talking about. Welcoming Commitee? He didn't mention that the first time we came to tour the school. I pushed my thoughts aside when I heard the door being opened behind me, I folded the paper as neatly as I could then put the paper in my pocket and turned in my seat to face the direction of the door.

"Raymomd? Will you come in here please?" Principal Vasquez called out rather loud, making me jump slightly. For some reason yelling always gets to me. A few seconds went by, the sound sound of heavy footsteps and squeaky sneakers could be heard down the hall as the one known as Raymond entered the room.

"Raymomd, I would like you to meet Frank. Frank this is Raymond."
I felt his eyes on me, I didn't bother to turn my head up to face him, it's not like I could see him anyway. "Hi-ya," He said cheerfully. His voice was gental and calm. Also very friendly...

"Hi," I whispered kind of shyly. Getting up from my seat right as a loud bell went off, I flinched at the sudden ringing. What the hell was that? Oh yeah, right. Schools have bells.

"Oh, that's the bell. Thats how we know when to go to class and when they end." He giggled.
"Call me Ray."

"Frank. F-frank Iero." I said holding out my hand, and he gladly took it. As I shook his hands, I looked up to where I assumed his head to be. "You have a nice grip," I smilied, and I could just tell he might of been too.

"I'll let you boys go, have a nice day." Vazquez escorted us out, leaving Ray and I in a empty hall.

"S-so I'm sure you're aware of my d-dis-ability." I said with my left hand in my pocket, my right clutching my cane as I felt around as we walked. Oh yeah, I have a stutter too. How convenient.

"Yeah I am. And I'm here to help you out, find your way around, and escort you after school to your program. You have your schedule?"
"Yeah," I took the folded paper from my pocket and handed it Ray, we walked in silence as he scanned the paper.

"Lets see here, Oh cool! We have four periods together!" I could practically feel his smiley face radiating.

"Nice,"

"I think we should get to class, We have first, second, lunch, fourth, and seventh. We have math first,"

Math. Easy peasy pumpkin peasy.

"So what did you think?" Ray asked, nudging my arm.
"I was t-ter-rified. Ms. S-seuss is real scary," We let out a small chuckle.

"Hmmm, I bet you were. Well we have Science class next with Mr. Handler "

Ah, yes. Science class. I walked into class with Ray, he escorted me to my seat as the bell rang. I could feel the coolness on the left side of my face. I got a window seat. Window seats always broke my heart. I could never look outside them, even if it was only a dumpster on the other side, I wish I could see sometimes. But sight is for the fortunate, and I just happen to unlucky I guess. But I try not to think about it too much. I felt a small tap on my right shoulder, I turned my head to give whatever was tapping me my full attention even though I couldn't see them. I could hear nothing but whispers behind me...

"Hey guys, look! It's p-pa-pa-pa-porky pig!"

"Stuttering Stanly"

"...Guys stop it... he's cool."

"Shutup Ray the Gay!"

"Fag"

I ignored the comments, what kind of asshole do you have to be to make fun of a legally blind person? As I sad hunched over in my desk fidgeting my fingers a sudden hush came over the class. Finally...
That's when the weird feeling came. Something was off, didn't feel right. Then energy in the room completely shifted. Then sound of more footsteps could be heard, but the sound they made had a personality of its own. It was the sound of boots. Leather boots. They made a slow stride through the class, waving their way through the desks. They were rebellious. Trouble. Trust me, I could tell.

"Nice to see you finally joined us Gerard, how long has it been? Two weeks? " Mr. Handler scoffed and the girls in the class giggled.

"Yeah yeah, whatever."

--------------------