CHAPTER 4: Troubled Waters

VANESSA

After the meeting at Greys & Co. which went nothing like what I had expected, I felt low.

Why did Matthew Greys let his egoistic jerk of a son take his position?

I guessed I would have to ask him myself.

Not wanting to be late to meet dad, I decided to pick up a cup of hot coffee and some breakfast and then hailed a cab to Hudson Enterprises.

The building hadn't changed much since I last saw it. It had the same glass panels, towering structure, the usual hustle-bustle and the same tense air bubbling with innovative thoughts. Thinking that this all would be mine one day put a smile on my face.

This company was started by an alliance between my grandparents which ended up in my parents getting married.

It did sound like something out of a romance novels but their short lived marriage was anything but.

While being married to my mother, dad fell in love with another woman, Kate Willows and had an illegitimate daughter with her, Jennifer and he decided to leave us for them.

My parents got divorced and I decided to live with my mom but fate had other plans.

When I turned twelve, mom went to California to meet her brother but never made it. She passed away in a plane crash.

Ever since I have been living with my Dad, Kate - whom he eventually married, along with my half-sister, Jennifer and Nathaniel, Kate's son from her previous marriage.

I was now living with the Hudsons but to keep mom close to me, I took up her name as my middle name - Catherine.

My dad and I had never been close but the fact that he was my father had always been enough for me to overlook our issues.

I hoped that it would be the same for him too.

With a melancholic smile, I walked up to the reception. The lady instantly recognised me and took me to his office immediately.

Dad was furiously typing on his laptop, his fingers clicking away at the keyboard. Without the blurry video call screen between us, I could see that he had many more grey strands and wrinkles, he must have been very stressed.

But about what? He had been running this company for over two decades.

I cleared my throat to draw his attention.

When he looked up, he smiled but it didn't quite reach his eyes. Was it because of me? Was it because of the reason he called me home?

As he stood up, I walked up to his table and hugged him.

Well, I wanted to.

Instead, I just smiled back and stood on the opposite side of the table. It was much easier, especially after how we left things last time we were in the same room.

Now that I was here, it made me wonder.

When was the last time I hugged him? Had I ever hugged him?

Dad settled down in his seat and asked me,"How was your meeting?"

"Meeting? Oh, yes...it was okay. It was good. I am looking forward to the next meeting," I lied.

If I were crazy enough to dance in the middle of a highway at night, only then would I want to meet that egomaniac again but fate was funny.

Our house was getting renovated before Christmas so Matthew Greys who happens to be dad's college friend asked us to come over to stay instead of going to a hotel.

I was really looking forward to meeting Matthew Greys but now that I had met his son, a chance at revenge was my top priority.

After a failed effort at conversing with dad and trying to get him to tell me why I was here, we headed to the Greys Mansion.

I drew in a deep breath as the huge mansion came into view. This was one of the biggest properties in city but considering the real estate past of Greys & Co. and its multinational conglomerate present, this mansion was only one of the many they owned across the globe.

When dad and I went in, I was introduced to the Greys family.

Matthew shook hands with dad as Paula, Matthew's wife and the life of upper east socialites' parties greeted me.

Then she introduced me to her two daughters. Her eldest, Charlotte - one of New York's top designers and the youngest, Cassandra - the only one in this family that I had not heard much about before.

It wasn't long before the man who ruined my day, showed up. The middle child, Adrian - the so-called enigma that I had been keen to see in person but who turned out to be nothing but a disappointing prick that made me want to punch him in the face.

If I was to stay here for the next two weeks, I decided that it was best I put him in his place right at the beginning.

ADRIAN

1st December

"What the actual hell! First she came late to my meeting, then dared to refuse shaking hands with me and I am only finding out now that dad has so graciously decided to host her and her father for the next two weeks!", I clenched my fists.

"You need to calm down. What's the worst that can happen? You will be here working all day, in your penthouse with some chick on most nights and when you do go home, pretend she doesn't exist. If you can handle going home after an argument with your dad, how much trouble can she be?" Bryan said.

I exhaled and leaned back in my chair.

He was right.

I don't even think I was as mad at her as I was at dad for not telling me that we were hosting guests.

"You are meeting investors for the Lot Navigator today, aren't you?"

I nodded.

"Then just go home and relax. Maybe put that new sauna you installed to good use. Okay?"

"Fine." I finally agreed and left for home.

Bryan might just be the only person I ever listen to.

I went in and decided to head straight toward the sauna, trying to avoid seeing unpleasant faces but I was stopped.

Mom,who was sitting beside the girl I was trying to avoid, asked, "Adrian, how are you home early today?"

"I have an important meeting later so I decided to unwind for a while, I am going to the sauna."

"Lunch will be ready by the time you are done. Don't leave before eating."

"Okay," I nodded and left.

I set the temperature to 85°C and with a bottle of water, I went in.

A few minutes later, rather than getting accustomed to the heat, I felt restless. It was as if the temperature had increased. The gauge for changing the temperature was outside the sauna so I decided to go check it. However, when I tried opening the door, it wouldn't budge.

Someone had locked me inside!

A/N: And yet another long chapter. Thanks guys for the support and I promise to update every week.😄