CHAPTER 36: Stranger On The Aisle Seat

VANESSA

16th December

I woke up early in the morning and took a quick bath. I put on a pair of black jeggings, a baggy grey sweater and my sneakers. Then, brushing back my hair into a messy braid and donning a red lipstick, I went downstairs.

I was supposed to be leaving for the airport in about an hour so I decided to get some breakfast. As I sat on the table, in front of my baked beans and bread, Dad joined me with a newspaper. I greeted him, pushing back the raw feelings from my yesterday's conversation with Kate.

He smiled and then returned back to reading today's headlines. He was a man of few words but sometimes, I really wished he spoke more. Seventy-five percent of my interactions with him were arguments. It was better than Adrian's statistics though...

Adrian. Oh yes!

"Dad, I wanted to talk to you about something.", I said, finally putting my past two day's plans into motion.

"Go on. I am listening.", He said from behind the paper.

"Umm...Dad I was hoping you could talk to Matthew..."

"About what?"

"About not throwing Adrian out.", I said, biting down on my lower lip, nervous of what he would make out my demand. I definitely hadn't phrased that right.

He looked up from his newspaper, studying me and I just sat there staring at him blankly, anticipating what his question would be.

Dad tilted his head slightly towards me, closed the newspaper and inquired, "Any specific reason why?"

"Yes, it is so close to Christmas, Daddy. No one one would want to stay away from their family at this time of the year."

At this dad's eyes widened and I gasped, "Oh! Consider me as an exception. With all that had happened then, I couldn't have been happier to spend Christmas in a plane, travelling to London, away from a bad TV Show that I called family."

"Are you ever going to let go of it?"

"Are any of you?", I countered and then when I was greeted with silence, I hid my hurt feelings behind a smile and said, "Thought so."

I looked at my watch and then, wiping the baked beans sause off my mouth, I told him, "Time for me to leave. It is an international flight and I don't want to be late. Bye dad."

He got up and hugged me. I was taken aback by this sudden gesture of affection but I wrapped my arms around him tightly and wished for this hug to last forever because an eternity could pass before we had our next peaceful conversation, especially with Nate and my rivalry.

Before we broke the hug, he said, being barely audible,"We can't change what happened but what we can do is mend these broken bridges. We will fix things when you get back, ok? This Christmas will be better and we will all spend it together."

He looked at me hopefully and I gave him a wide reassuring smile though in the back of my mind, I wondered what all meant.

"What should I get you for Christmas?", He asked me.

"The Hudson Enterprises' CEO position!"

"Nessa...I", He started with a concerned look.

"Relax! I was just kidding. Get me whatever you want. And as for that position, I am not going to take it as a gift but as a reward for my capability."

"You are so confident that you can win?"

"I sure am.", I gave him a winning smile and with that I left for the airport.