CHAPTER 10: Shopaholic

VANESSA

As Dad left, I returned back to my laptop, wanting to go over the things I needed to do if he chose my idea.

Adrian said, from behind his laptop, "Asking your dad to take an early retirement? Risky move."

"It isn't. Dad has been thinking of the right moment to choose his heir for a while now, all I did was give him a push and tell him that I am ready."

"And what if he chooses Nate? From where I am standing, he already has his preferences."

"I intend to change that before he makes his decision," I smiled.

"You'll need a lot more than just optimism to do that."

"I am aware."

Adrian leaned back in his chair," At least the presentation was decent."

"Was that a compliment?" I arched an eyebrow.

"For the presentation, not you," he stated, keeping his gaze on his laptop steady.

"For the presentation that I made." I smiled, "Considering that you find it decent, what about the other one I was supposed to show?"

"I told you. Get a new appointment."

"Sure! It took my secretary only three weeks to book the last one after all."

"You reached late."

"You are right, I should have learnt how to fix a plane. Maybe then it wouldn't be two and a half hours late."

"If that was the case, you should have clarified earlier."

"If I did that, you'd think I was giving an excuse and I don't like excuses very much."

"Only revenge..." He muttered under his breath, looking up to meet my eyes.

I was still thinking of what to say next when Charlotte, the eldest Greys sibling came in and asked, "Vanessa, right?"

I nodded with a pleasant smile.

"Are you planning to work on a Saturday too?"

"I am. Why?"

"Well, change your plans. You, me and Casey are going shopping, unless you want to stare at spreadsheets all day long and end up becoming as boring as that guy," she pointed at her brother, making me chuckle.

"I am sitting right here," Adrian complained.

"Oh right! Since you reminded me that you are sitting right here, would you be so kind as to volunteer with our bags. Even the parking in SoHo is..."

'"Alright, that's my cue." Adrian said, picked up his laptop and fled the room.

Charlotte and I laughed.

"Let's go. Casey is already in the car."

"Thanks for the offer but I really..."

"I never asked now, did I? We are going and that's final."

"You and your brother, good lord!", I shook my head, getting up as she smiled.

Soon enough, we were in Charlotte's car. I was sitting in the front seat with her while Cassandra was at the back, lost in her phone.

"Who is that?" I asked Charlotte as my eyes fell upon a photo frame on the dashboard. It had a kid with blond hair like Charlotte's and Cassandra's but unlike the hereditary blue eyes that all the Greys possessed, his were brown.

Charlotte beamed, "That's my son, Kevin."

"How did I not meet him yet?"

"He is staying with his dad for a few days. He will be back next week," she said, her smile not quite reaching her eyes.

How did I forget?

The event overlapped with my university exams so I never got to attend it but I did see the pictures that Jennifer had clicked. Charlotte got married a few years back in what was possibly one of New York's most magnificent weddings but she was here now, living with the Greys.

I glanced at her hands resting on the steering wheel but I did not see a ring like I had hoped to.

Did she get divorced?

Did Kevin feel as confused about what was happening around him as I did when suddenly my drawings of my family only included mom and me?

I pushed the thought aside and smiled," I can't wait to meet Kevin."

Cassandra connected her phone to the aux cable and humming along the music, we drove to a street lined with shops.

"Any specific reason why you decided to go on a shopping spree today?" I asked, as we went to the first store.

"We haven't interacted much since you came home and you looked pretty worked up today, so..." Charlotte said.

"Not to forget your fight with your dad." Cassandra said.

I began apologizing as heat rose to my face, "Cassandra, I..."

"Casey is fine," she smiled.

Charlotte sighed, "Don't mind her, her sense of humour is...a little twisted," before glaring at her sister.

A few shops later, Casey said, "You are a lot like Adrian, you know?"

"Me? Thanks I guess, but why?"

What could I have in common with that asswipe?

"You both are workaholics, have quite a temper and fight with your dads."

"Adrian fought with Matthew?" I asked, a little too eager to learn more.

"Why do you think we ignored your squabble with your dad as if it was an everyday affair."

Because it was an everyday affair...but how could Matthew and Adrian not get along? And if they didn't, why did Matthew let Adrian take over Greys & Co. so soon?

Charlotte held up a navy A-line dress and a coffee brown shirt dress," Which one looks better?"

"The blue one."

"You have good taste," she smiled.

"If you already liked the blue one, why ask me?" I frowned.

"Just trying to get an idea of your style beforehand, in case you ask for my help to select clothes."

"I will definitely need your help and come on, no one refuses free fashion advice, especially when it's from you," I laughed.

"How do I look?" Casey strutted out of a trial room in a short, pink satin dress.

"That dress can not be worn anywhere except for a night club. What do you even plan to do with that?", Charlotte asked.

"Go to a night club," Casey rolled her eyes, "A new one is opening downtown. We should definitely go."

"Adrian would kill us if we were found anywhere near a club." Charlotte said.

"That's hypocritical," I protested.

"He is a little overprotective," She admitted.

"We will inform mom and then go, is that fine?" Casey proposed.

"Fine but less drinking and more dancing, alright?"

"Promise!" Casey and I nodded in unison.

That evening, we drove to Skyline, looking forward to an evening of dancing, talking and enjoying ourselves but since plans rarely go as they are supposed to, especially when alcohol is involved, our night got botched in more ways than one.

A/N: Hello, amazing people. So what do you think about my new chapter titles ? Hope you liked this chapter! Next one is coming soon...filled with drama.