CHAPTER 55: Discount Detectives

A/N: One question...When did you realise Blake was the bad guy? How many clues did you find?

Be honest.😏

P.S: There is a contest at the end of the chapter.

VANESSA

28th December

"I didn't know him personally but from what father told me, he was a good man, one of a very jovial nature. He has driven dad to work everyday since he first became the CEO of Greys & Co. and because of that, he is not just a chauffeur but a part of the Greys family. He was taken away, much too soon but he will be remembered by all of us, in our hearts, for Shaun Lance was a good son, a brother, a husband, a father, a grandfather and a friend.", the blue-eyed man spoke before stepping down from the church dias and sitting down in the second row with his mother and sisters.

I was sitting far behind, in the second last row and there was a good reason, the company I brought.

I looked up at the man sitting beside me and sighed, "Must be so hard to lose someone so untimely. He certainly didn't deserve to die."

"I can only imagine.", he said, pressing his lips together, the grief evident in his eyes...or was it something else?

"You look more sad than me. Did you lose someone to an accident too?", I asked.

"No. Never. It's just the thought of how quickly one decision can take someone's life."

"Decision?", I frowned.

"Which turn to take on the road. It was a road accident, right?"

"An accident. Yes", I nodded.

The service came to an end, as Cecile ended her speech.

"Will we go to the committal too?", the hazel-eyed man asked me.

"It's best if we do. Don't you think?", I smiled at him.

"Can you handle from here, please. I need to go back to office", he said desperately.

"But...I need you, Blake. You know how difficult it is for me to attend a funeral especially when Shaun died in an accident. It reminds me so much of mom. I told you last night, right?", I looked at him, doe-eyed.

He sighed, "Fine. I'll stay."

"Thank you.", I said earnestly, resting my head on his shoulder.

It wasn't long before we all headed for the committal to the graveyard. We played our respects to Shaun and then he was buried with the words :

In the loving memory of
Shaun Lance
(1964-2016)

scrawled across, now set in stone.

I wiped a stray tear which rolled down my cheek at the thought that this man was taken from his family and friends because of me.

When the ceremony ended, I told Blake that I was going home.

He nodded. He looked very perturbed himself and I was glad he was, he too was responsible for this mess after all.

I drove my Audi back to the Greys mansion. I had to finish packing, for I was leaving in the evening for my apartment.

Blake still had access to my phone and with that, to all the information in it. The situation I was in, was a dangerous one and I felt that it was best, I kept this family away from it. They had already been through enough, just because of me and anyways, I had stayed way too long.