CHAPTER 11: Party Pooper

VANESSA

We got out of the car, ditching our jackets. It was chilly outside but inside the club, things were just heating up.

People were drinking, dancing, laughing and that is exactly what I had in mind for myself today.

We headed to the bar directly, I insisted.

We had one shot each and then moved to the dance floor, swaying with the bodies around us, singing out loud.

I hadn't had the time to party lately. I had hit a few clubs with Sarah and Eric back in London but things were never as fun as with Jennifer. With me trying to find funny ways to shoot down pickup lines and her saying the stupidest things when she got drunk, each trip to the club turned into something worth remembering.

Well, remembering was all we could do now since neither of us would want to be anywhere within a mile of each other.

After about an hour of dancing, Charlotte pulled us out.

"I am tired. I need to sit." Charlotte yelled over the loud music.

"Let's head to the bar, its quieter," I suggested.

At the bar, we ordered another round of shots. Charlotte picked one up and said, "Never have I ever been in the lockup."

"Drunk driving. Adrian didn't let me drive for six months after," Casey raised her glass before gulping down the liquid in it.

I said, "Never have I ever thrown up after drinking."

Charlotte took a shot,"It was a frat party. I threw up at him. We broke up right after."

I laughed.

Casey said, "Never have I ever been in a relationship."

Both Charlotte and I took a sip but preferred not to talk about it.

As the game continued, I lost the count of my drinks. I was supposed to drive the girls back to the mansion but right now I was barely walking straight.

I left a drunk Charlotte at the bar, who had been crying on my shoulder for the past fifteen minutes about how the apes in planet of apes weren't real, to go find Casey who left to dance and then never returned.

Casey reminded me of Jennifer. She was reserved and opened up to only a few people but unlike Casey who had a sharp tongue, Jenny talked back to people only when she was furious.

At one point of time, we were inseparable but now...

My eyes fell upon Casey who was making out with someone on the dance floor. Just as she drew away, at the other end of the dance floor, I spotted a pair of horrified blue eyes watching Casey's antics before they shifted to me.

Must he be everywhere I go?

Adrian walked over to his sister, yanking her away from the boy in a bomber jacket.

I made my way to them, trying my best not to trip over anyone or anything.

"Cassandra, let's go." I tugged at her, avoiding her brother's cold gaze drilling into my skull.

"I am guessing Charlotte is here too?" He asked, his words more of a warning than a question.

"The bar. I think."

"Which one of you is supposed to be the responsible adult driving home?"

Another warning.

I raised my hand and passed him a sheepish smile.

Adrian scoffed, "As if. You reek of alcohol. How much did you have?"

"That's none of your business. We will take a cab."

"It is my business that my sisters get home safely. I'm driving you all home."

"Suit yourself." I scoffed and went back to the bar where Charlotte was talking to a man who looked vaguely familiar.

As I approached, the man stepped away from her and smiled, reaching out to shake my hand, "You must be Vanessa. I am Bryan Conners, I work with Adrian."

"Nice to meet you." I passed him an uncomfortable smile, recalling why he looked familiar. I met him at the meeting where Adrian walked off on me.

I quietly sat down beside Charlotte in a desperate attempt to act sober in front of Bryan, trying to avoid further embarrassment.

Charlotte nudged me,"You can relax. Bryan isn't just Adrian's colleague, they have been friends since high school."

Even more reason to not relax. Who in their right mind would befriend Adrian?

Speak of the devil...

Adrian returned to the bar and passed a look towards Bryan that I couldn't quite comprehend before turning to us.

"So this is what shopping in SoHo looks like?" He asked.

"I am not in the mood for an argument right now," Charlotte sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose.

"We really need to have a talk tomorrow."

"Then talk tomorrow about tomorrow."

Adrian shook his head,"Fine. Let's go home."

We followed him to his car and Charlotte got in the back seat leaving me to sit up front with him.

As the car started, a funny feeling started to grow in my stomach and it was not of a good kind.

I closed my eyes and rested my head against the window but that somehow made it worse.

"I don't feel fine," I announced, keeping my eyes shut.

The car came to a screeching halt.

"You are not gonna throw up are you?"

As if that was the cue that I needed, I felt my stomach churn.

"Not in the car. Not in the car. Not..."

Amidst Adrian's chanting, I somehow managed to open the door before I hurled my dinner onto the road.

This was definitely not how I pictured my night ending.