B.S 12

I typed the message with tears in my eyes. It was Tuesday midday. I was doing what I said I would. I was breaking up with the guy I loved with my whole heart. I wasn't only honoring a deal, I was letting go. There was no point in pretending Jake loved me when I knew he didn't. His infidelities proved that. 

I finished typing the message. I deliberated for a while if I should press the 'send' button. I finally pressed it and watched as my phone gave me thumbs up. A lone drop escaped. I immediately switched my phone off, knowing he would call.

Jake's POV 

"Of course I'm looking forward to it!" I replied to Eli's question enthusiastically. He'd asked me if I was looking forward to the party we were invited to that night. 

"Jake is a party animal!" Tyler chipped in. 

The three of us were in Eli and I's room. We were planning on going grocery shopping shortly. I opened my mini fridge and took out a can of soda. My phone beeped, indicating a message. Ty passed it to me. I opened the message casually, although my heart fluttered when I saw it was from Chris. 

Hi. I'm sorry but we can't be together anymore. It's complicated. I'm sorry it has to end like this, but that's just how it is. It's over Jake.  

I involuntarily opened my mouth in disbelief, my eyes widening. I just stared at my phone screen, my eyes searching hungrily for something, anything to tell me my eyes were deluding me. My mind struggled to make sense of everything. But my heart understood and deflated immediately. It felt too heavy for me. I just stood there, phone in one hand, a can of soda in the other. 

"Dude, you okay?" 

I blinked. 

"Jake?" Tyler said, concerned. 

I placed the can of soda on the study table and left the room without a word. Questions were racing around in my head. As I walked along the hallway, I dialed Chris's number. He was unreachable. I tried and tried and tried, my mind refusing to believe it was true. I had to hear him say those words. I reached the bathroom. Luckily, it was empty. I got into the bath and just sat there, staring at nothing. 

After a few minutes I tried Chris's number again. It was still on voicemail. It all sunk in, the gravity of everything. He had broken up with me. After six months he had decided what we had wasn't worth it. I felt tears wet my cheeks. I felt silly, but I couldn't stop them. I had never cried because of a break-up. It was partly because I had never been dumped, and partly because I had never loved anyone before. 

WHY? 

I wished he'd tell me why he broke up with me. What had I done? I remembered then that he'd acted weirdly the last couple of days. He'd said he was fine, and that we were fine. But obviously we weren't fine. Had he found someone better in Richmond? 

Or maybe he had found what he wanted from me all along. He had found what everyone pretending to love me wanted from me. It was all about the damn money! He'd wanted the money and now he'd gotten it. He was in Richmond; he had no use for me anymore. He was just like the rest of them. 

The main door of the bathroom opened. Someone walked in. I rested my head against the wall, looking at the ceiling, forbidding myself to cry over a gold-digger. 

"Jake buddy, are you in here?" it was Tyler's voice. 

I stayed quiet. 

"Jake, I know you are in here. What's wrong?" Tyler asked softly. 

"He dumped me", I said quietly, although indifferently. 

"Chris?" I couldn't fail to notice the surprise in Tyler's voice.