B.S 28

Jake's POV 

When Gabe came home that day, he found me sprawled on the living area couch. I'd told dad I would hang out with Tyler, but when I got home that day, I wasn't in the mood for anything or anyone. I'd gotten back a couple of hours prior, and had lain there since. I had even ignored Martha's attempts to get me to do anything, pretending I was asleep. 

I hadn't seen mom that day, which wasn't new. Mom kept to herself and barely came out of her room. When she did she got into her car and went Lord knows where. She had always been like that and we'd never questioned it. It was easier not concerning myself with my parents' lives.  

Gabe touched me on my shoulder, dropping his schoolbag on the floor. 

"Hey buddy, you awake?" 

I glared at him. 

"If only looks could kill", he said. "How long have you been lying there?" 

"I hate him, do you know that?" 

"Who, dad?" he asked pushing my feet off the couch so he could sit. 

"No. That money-grabbing-fake I call my ex boyfriend", I snarled. 

Gabe had a mixture of shock and confusion paint displayed on his face. 

"You don't mean that", he said shaking his head. 

"What? That I hate him or that he's a money grabbing fake?" 

Gabe lowered his eyes. "Both", he said firmly. 

"Think what you want", I said standing up and walking away. 

He stood up too. "What happened? What did dad say?" 

I stopped and turned to him. "Dad offered him money to break up with me and he fucking took it. He chose money over our relationship. And you know why I'll never forgive him? Because for once in my life I actually loved someone other than myself, I had hopes for our relationship", I said. 

"Jake, I'm sorry. Really, I am. I just...I just don't believe Chris would do that. You did say he was hesitant about asking dad to fund him", Gabe said. 

"How many times do I have to say it? It was all an act! He probably orchestrated this whole thing from the beginning. He knew I loved him. He knew I would try to help him, just like I did when his parents kicked him out!" 

"Maybe he had another reason for taking the money", he said. 

"As always, you are freaking standing up for him! Maybe he should be your brother, not me!" 

"Stop fucking saying that. Just because I'm not taking your side doesn't mean I love you any less. I've always stood up for you! I unlike you see logic when there seems to be none. You weren't exactly a saint in that relationship so maybe you should stop blaming him for everything!" Gabe shouted. It was rare for him to shout at me so it caught me off-guard. 

"Boys!" it was mom's turn to shout. "What's this racket about?" 

She was standing a few meters from the living area in her sleeping gown, looking very much like she was going to collapse. 

"Sorry mom, we'll keep it down", Gabe said. 

We watched her climb the stairs slowly. 

I turned to Gabe. "I am not a money-grabbing fake", I hissed. 

"Yeah, you are a cheater", he said. 

"What? It was just a kiss! There was nothing more". 

"Then why couldn't you tell him about it? You knew it would hurt him. And so, we can regard it as cheating".