B.S 37

Jake's POV 

When I got home that night I went straight to bed. I tossed and turned the whole night, wondering how the meeting the next day would go. Chris and I had talked for hours about our dilemma. There was no telling how things would go, but deep down I knew the end was near. Incest was a huge thing, how would we overcome it? 

We sure knew how to rattle people's cages. First we had decided to have a relationship and to top that, we were half-siblings. Homosexuality and incest, two things society wasn't all that welcoming to. Would this be the last straw?  

The next morning I woke up early, but stayed in bed for a while. I just stared at the ceiling; wishing time would hurry up so it would be night already. But somehow I was dreading the meeting. It was going to maybe be the beginning of a good thing and at the same time the destruction of a beautiful thing. 

Gabe tossed in his bed and his eyes flew open. I had found him asleep the previous night, so no words had been exchanged between us. 

"Hey buddy", I said. 

"Hey", he said and yawned, sitting up. 

"Sorry to give you a scare. I got back last night but you were asleep", I said. 

"I heard you", he said. 

"Really? You seemed to be in dreamland" I said. 

"Dad told us you were coming. I expected you. Last night when you got back I heard you come in. I didn't turn or open my eyes because I knew it was you", he said. 

I got out of bed and stretched my limbs. 

"So why are you back? And this family meeting...what's on the agenda?" he asked. 

"You'll know tonight. I'm going jogging, if you like you can join me", I said. 

"I'll pass. I am going back to bed", he said. 

I shrugged and went to the bathroom. 

I returned from my jog some time before 10 am. Martha made breakfast. Mom, dad, Gabe and I sat together and ate. After what dad told me about mom, I kept looking at her. Dad noticed and gave me a warning look. I couldn't help it. She looked frail and weak, making me wonder if her 'disease' was psychological or physical. She said few words too. She hadn't said much to me since I'd arrived. 

There was silence around the table. 

"How is Chris?" Gabe asked. 

"He's fine", I said curtly, the question catching me by surprise. 

I looked at dad who looked at me. Something passed between us. 

"That is good. So have you guys made up?" Mom asked in her delicate voice. 

I coughed voluntarily. "Uh...it's complicated" 

Gabe stopped eating and looked at me. 

"I thought you had and things were going great", he said. 

I looked at dad again. Gabe followed my eyes and as if remembering that dad had instigated my breakup with Chris, his mouth formed an O. 

"Tried out for the football team yet?" he asked eagerly, trying to inject some activity around the table after the rather awkward moment he had initiated. 

"Trials are next week", I said. 

"You better make the team", he said. "The only reason I'll come to Stanton is to see you play".