B.S 25

"Jake, wake up!" I heard a voice.  

At first I thought it was part of my dream, but I couldn't tell who had uttered the words. 

"Jake!" there it went again. 

It was so close to me, made me feel like it was literally touching me. ...But how so, when there was nothing but darkness around me? I felt myself being dragged away by an unknown force, reality dissolving into a thick cloud that disappeared when my eyes fluttered. A new sense of reality greeted me, my room shaping up into a rectangular box that I was confined to when my eyes finally opened. It was only then I realized I had been dreaming, that it hadn't been a voice touching me, but Gabe's hand on my shoulder. 

I yawned, rubbing at my eyes. "What?" I uttered the only words I could muster at that time. My brain felt like it wasn't ready to work. 

Gabe smiled down at me. "Sorry, this is important". 

I realized he was dressed immaculately and had on his signature scent, musk and a hint of lavender. His hair was combed neatly and he seemed ready to go out. 

I sat up, stretching my upper limbs. 

"What?" I asked again, a hint of annoyance in my voice. 

"I'm going to college. There's something-" he said and paused. He had this worried look on his face, making my ears stand up. 

"Gabe!" I said. 

"I might be blowing things out of proportion, but...I think dad had something to do with Chris breaking up with you", he said. 

My eye widened. "What do you mean?" 

"I'm not sure, thing is I went down to his study about 30 minutes ago to see if I could talk to him about you and the pregnancy thing. When I got to the door he was on the phone, so I stood outside for a while. Then I heard him say to the person on the other end of the line that he blamed himself for your problems, that if he didn't make Chris break up with you, you wouldn't have slept with Adriana and none of this would have happened". 

My mouth involuntarily opened. No. Dad couldn't have...he...but... my breath quickened, my sweat glands started working overtime. How could dad do such a thing? 

I got up from the bed quickly, which was a bad idea because my blood pressure dropped quickly and I started feeling faint. However, that wouldn't deter me. 

"Where is he?" I demanded. 

"He's gone to work". 

My body relaxed enough for me to stand up without feeling like I was about to collapse. I went to the closet quickly, and picked out a pair of blue sport harem pants, a grey t-shirt and a baseball cap. 

Gabe looked at me. "Don't tell me you are going to Pentech". 

I didn't say anything. 

"It's not a good idea. You know how dad is with his work, you..." 

"He ruined my relationship", I interrupted quietly, though determinedly. 

"We are not even sure what he did!" Gabe said. 

I put on my pants. "He is responsible for Chris breaking up with me, he said it himself. I don't care what he did, if it wasn't because of him Chris and I..." I said and faltered. 

I had intended on saying Chris and I would be together. But no one knew if we would be together. 

This new piece of information was bringing the feelings I had suppressed for a long time to the forefront. I had never allowed myself to think about Chris fully, neither the past nor the present. The pain had locked everything away. I occasionally thought of him, but I'd reprimand myself harshly afterwards, never allowing myself to complete a thought. All of that was due to fear. I knew if I allowed myself to think about him, I would miss him and then long for everything he had given me and more. 

I could say a million times that I wanted nothing more to do with love, but I would be lying. Love was...indefinable. And my love for Chris was indelible. But it was this kind of love that hurt excruciatingly. Chris had taught me a lot of things, he had been patient, had touched a spot no person had. 

"Gabe, I need to know what dad did or said", I said, putting my cap on backwards. I was fully clothed by then. 

"That's okay, but can't you wait until he gets home?" 

"I can't", I said quickly. 

I put on my grey high-top sneakers with Gabe looking on. I pretended I couldn't see his disagreeing look. 

He sighed. "Jake, with everything that's going on; you do not want to aggravate him". 

"But I need to know", I said determinedly. 

"Just don't cause a scene", Gabe said. 

"I'll try not to", I said and chuckled when I saw his look of shock. "I won't". 

"I hope so", he said. 

"Have a little faith in me", I said walking out of the room. 

Gabe followed me after picking up his schoolbag. We walked down the stairs in silence. 

When we were out of the house, Gabe caught me off-guard with his question. "If dad was indeed responsible, what does this mean for you and Chris? What will you do?" 

I crackled my knuckles and shook my head. "I don't know. Truthfully, I don't know". 

Gabe unlocked his car. "Talking to Chris would be a start", he said as he got into his car. 

I got into my car, and slowly we both exited the White yard, Gabe to his college and I to make an unwelcome visit to my dad at Pentech industries.