B.S 21

Chris's POV 

1 month, 2 weeks later. 

Rosslyn turned out to be right, at least I thought. Em was overly-protective of me; he got upset when people teased me. He wanted to be with me most of the time. Of course he hadn't said anything yet and I wondered what my reaction would be if he did. I couldn't prepare for such a moment. As I sat alone in my room on a hot Friday night however, Em was the last thing on my mind. I was supposed to be studying for a test, but that too was the last thing on my mind. 

The longing, the wanting, it was getting me. It was grabbing on, refusing to let go. It was telling me, telling me I needed to see, to hold, to feel again. It was telling me there was nothing in the world I wanted as much as the object of my thoughts. There where happiness used to reign supreme was supposed to be bare, cold, the fire of betrayal having consumed all the happiness, all the longing. But there a tiny spark remained, one impossible for the eye to see. But it screamed with all its might, hoping to be heard. It didn't have to scream, nor raise its voice. I heard it all the time, even when I was asleep. It lounged onto my dreams, dreams I didn't want to wake up from. 

He was there with me all the time, in my head, in my dreams, but most importantly, in my heart. I had tried desperately to forget, tried in vain to stop loving him. But nothing I did could erase that little spark he had left in my heart. Nothing could dim its light, or silence its cries. It wanted him back. I wanted him back. Even after the whole cheating drama I wanted Jake back. He was all I could see, with his smile flowing around in my head all the time. 

They said time would heal. Time didn't heal. If anything, as the days went on I wanted him even more. I remembered the good times. I wanted that back. I wanted to lie in his arms and feel the love I had felt then. 

What love? 

I jolted myself back, interrupting my thoughts with that single voice. It was a harsh voice, made even harsher by the fact that it was reminding me that that one person who put what seemed to be an everlasting spark in my heart didn't love me. 

Maybe he does love me

Was it possible? Could he love me? We'd been together for 6 months, surely that was too long a time to conduct an experiment. He could have broken up with me after a month, why wait 6 months? Was if I was wrong? 

I took a long deep breath, tightly squeezing my phone in my hand. My eyes focused on my hand, and an insane thought entered my mind. I released my phone slowly and just stared at it. I had questions, and only one person could answer them. It was about time I confronted the truth, I couldn't go on like that forever. 

I took a long deep breath again, dialing the numbers I knew off by heart. Every second felt like an hour. The phone rang and rang and rang. I found my hand shaking. I couldn't steady it. Maybe this had been a bad idea. Jake was probably asleep already. It was way past midnight. I had been so preoccupied with him I hadn't even checked the time. I was about to hang up when someone answered. 

"Jake's phone, hello", came a voice. It was a girl. Jake was with a girl way past midnight. My heart sank painfully. 

I wanted to hang up but my heart wouldn't let me. Maybe she was a friend, maybe Jake left her phone at her place, maybe... 

"Hello?" She said in irritation. 

"Hi", I said, my voice shaky. "Can I talk to Jake?" 

"He's in the bathroom, just wait a sec...", she said. I heard movement, followed by, "Baby! Are you done? You have a call". 

I froze, my heart denying every single word I had just heard. He couldn't have...had he...was he...I took in air quickly, almost choking on it. I had been wrong, I didn't need answers from Jake. Whoever her name was had given me an answer. I hadn't been wrong about one thing though. He didn't love me. Our relationship was beyond repair.