B.S 24

The drive to Maryvale was long and tiring, but I knew I had to make it. After reviewing my options, I knew there was nothing I could do on my own. The pregnancy part was manageable but the marriage part wasn't. Yes, I was going to cry to my parents. I couldn't handle the situation on my own. Adriana's dad was dead-set on getting me hitched to his daughter. It was a mess I couldn't get myself out of. Dad had to know. 

Tyler had left with me on the cold Tuesday afternoon from Stanton. Few words had been exchanged between us on the drive to Maryvale. I had been preoccupied with my thoughts. Although I had decided to tell dad, I hadn't decided on how I was going to tell him. 

"Hey Michael", Tyler said to the security guard at the White's gate. It was only then that I realized we had arrived. 

The butterflies in my stomach which had been fairly quiet since we left started fluttering around. I felt as though my stomach was hollow, with a million butterflies scrambling and trying to get out, bumping into each other and squealing. 

"Jake, nice to see you back", Michael said. 

I nodded distantly. 

Tyler drove along the driveway to the front door. He parked in silence and we just sat there. 

"Jake?" he enquired. 

"A couple of seconds", I said, waving him away. 

The front door opened and out came Gabe. You would swear he'd been tracking us.  

He walked towards us and peeked through the passenger side window into the car. Green eyes like mine looked at me with pity. 

"Welcome home", he said softly. "I still think you should have waited till the weekend". 

'I couldn't", I said lowly. 

He smiled and opened the door. I felt like a little kid. I was running to my parents for refuge instead of fighting my own battles. 

Tyler got out and bumped shoulders with Gabe. "What's up buddy?" he asked. 

I couldn't wait to hear what Gabe said. I got out of the car and instead of walking into the house; I walked in the other direction. 

"Hey! Where are you going?" Gabe shouted. 

"I'll be back just now", I said, following a footpath around the house to the back. 

I wasn't going anywhere in particular, I just needed to loosen up and free the butterflies in my stomach. I kept walking till I was at the back of the house. Here I was greeted by intricate mazes that lay on either side of a large swimming pool with sparkling blue water. There were smaller swimming pools further away from the main swimming pool and these were not that deep. I took in the violets that lay peacefully on either side of a paved pathway that led to the courtyard. 

Everything was peaceful out there. It was inside me that everything was a mess. I felt a little sick and couldn't keep my limbs steady. 

I walked into one of the mazes. I knew the path well enough so I wouldn't get lost. I had gotten lost in there as a kid. As usual, Gabe had rescued me. Being in the maze was comforting. No one could see me. No one could see the failure that was written on my forehead. 

I took a deep breath and decided to go back. If dad saw Tyler before me, by the time I saw him he would be fuming. 

I walked into the house. If I hadn't come back because of my circumstances I would actually be happy to be home. I found Gabe and Tyler in the living room with Tyler sprawled across one of the couches. 

"Where's dad?" I enquired, still standing. 

"At work", Gabe said. 

"And you couldn't tell me that before?" I asked with irritation in my voice.