B.S 15

Chris's POV 

I dreaded returning to my room after having breakfast with Em. I wasn't in the mood to face my roommate. He was obviously a homophobe. He was bound to bring up my sexual orientation. I would have to explain why I liked guys. I didn't know why I liked guys. I bet no one had ever asked him to explain why he liked girls. Why did we have to explain ourselves when straight people didn't have to? 

Em told me he was meeting up with his cousin in town so I had no choice but to return to my room. I was not going to sit all by myself in a park or diner and look all depressed. I knew if I stayed on my own my thoughts would involuntary drift to Jake. At least if I was in my room I wouldn't have to hide the tears. 

I hoped Spencer wasn't there when I got back, but the unlocked door told me he was. I walked in timidly, for some reason afraid I'd walk in on something. Well, I did walk in on something. Spencer was with some guy I had never seen. They were having a conversation, with the guy sitting on Spencer's chair and he on the bed. They stopped talking the moment I walked in. 

"Hi", I said slowly. 

"That's Chris, my roommate. Chris, this is Martin". 

The guy was Latin, with brown shiny skin. He had thick long wavy hair and dark brown eyes. He looked older than I was, 21 maybe. 

"Oh, that's the fag. Hi", Martin said. 

Oh, great! 

"Nice to meet you", I said as common courtesy. It was a plain lie. 

"Are you checking me out?" he asked harshly. 

I looked away from him, muttering, "No". 

"Good. Don't fucking check me out or I'll cut out your balls", he warned. He looked serious. 

I felt my body tense. It was the same feeling I had whenever I had heard Gavin's voice. The bullying would never go away. Why couldn't people just leave me alone? 

Spencer looked at me like he felt sorry for me. It must have been my imagination because after I blinked he was giving me a menacing look. He turned away from me. 

"Anyway, as I was saying..." he started talking, addressing Martin. 

I sat on my bed, with my back against the wall. I tried to shut them all out. Sharing a room wasn't the least bit ideal. My room was supposed to be a safe haven, and at that time I hated being in it. I sat there for a while, doing and saying nothing. 

My phone rang just as I took it out of my jean pocket. I stood up from the bed and walked outside. I heard Martin's voice as I closed the door. 

"Who is it? Your weakling boyfriend?" he'd asked. 

I answered my phone, walking leisurely along the hallway. 

"Hello". 

"Hey. How are you?" It was Gabe, my ex-boyfriend's brother. 

"I'm fine", I said curtly. I wondered if he knew about the break-up. I didn't have to wonder for long. 

"I'm glad you are, someone isn't". 

I stayed quiet, finding a spot near the kitchen. I sat down and crossed my legs. 

"Chris, what happened?" 

Tears filled my eyes. 

"Chris?" 

I couldn't say anything. 

"Chris, talk to me. Jake is...Jake is my brother. I need to know what happened between you guys. Why did you break up with him?" 

"I..." I started and trailed off. I couldn't tell Gabe about the deal, or about Jake's cheating.