Chapter 30

I really didn't want to get out of my bed this morning to go get breakfast but here I am in the cafeteria. I was keeping my head down just eating my food when I see out of the corner of my eye a slim man with dark hair beside me. I don't even have to look up to know that it is Charlie. "We have a run today be at the gate in 30." I says I nod my head letting him know that I got the message.
My heart started racing when he left. Today is the day, Hunter only has one shot at this so I have to make sure this works. I hurried up and stuffed the rest of my food in my mouth and threw everything else alway. I went to my room and got a light jacket and redid my hair.
I walk up to the gate and Hunter was there acting like he was high or something. "Do you think you could be a little bit more obvious?" I ask him quietly. "Sorry I'm just so nervous." He says then reaches into his pocket and gets a pack of smokes. He got one out and put it to his lips and put the rest back in his pocket.
"Didn't know you smoked." I say while he got the lighter out of his other pocket. He puts it near the cigarette and uses his other hand as a shield to cover the flame from the wind. Once he lit it on fire he put the lighter back in his pocket and took a big puff. "I don't, but I figure this is the best time to start." He says with smoke coming out of his mouth when he spoke. I nodded my head in agreement.
Not long after, Negan comes up and tells us that we will be heading west for a couple of hours. That will be good for Hunter because my truck is west of here so he won't have to travel as far or go towards the sanctuary.
I felt so awkward when Negan was there I kept my head down for the most part when he was speaking but sometimes I would look up at him and we would make eye contact. I could tell Hunter saw how uncomfortable I was even though I tried my best not to show it. But thankfully he didn't say anything until after Negan was done talking.
"What's wrong? Did Negan do something to you?!" Hunter asked trying to be quite. "What? no it's nothing important." I quickly say. I grabbed the cigarette out of Hunters hands and put it to my lips and sucked in. I held it in for as long as I could and took a quick breathe out and gave the cigarette back to hunter. "Didn't know you smoked." He says taking it back. "I don't but I figure it's the best time to start." I say smirking
He just smirks and does one last puff before throwing it on the ground and smashing it with his foot. I leave and get into Negans truck already knowing he would have it no other way.
It was only a couple seconds later when Negan got in. I looked out of the corner of my eye and watched Negan as he started the car. I coulda tell he was cold by the way he was shaking. I was too and I wanted nothing more that to turn the heaters on. But I know we can't because that uses too much gas, Bummer.
It was quite the whole ride there which really surprised me. I expected him to be talking my ear off about how I kissed him but he didn't and I was thankful for that. I could tell he was taking side glances at me while he was driving. Almost like he is wanting to say something but keeps on second guessing himself. "Just spit it out." I finally blurted out.
       "So was that a one time thing? Or is there more to come?" He asks smirking. I roll my eyes at how immature he is. "One time thing."
He gives me a pouty face "oh come on you had to enjoy it at least a little bit."
      He pulls into a neighbor hood and puts it in park. I open the door and was about to get out but I decided to get the last word. " don't boost your ego up any higher than it is. You kissed like a middle schooler wearing a tux at his first school dance." I say shutting the door and walking over to where the rest of the group was huddled up. As I'm walking I can hear Negan chuckling as he too gets out of the car.