Chapter 62

The little boy was eating like he's been without food for days and by the looks of him that very well might be true.  He just got done eating the canned corn and he looks like he was full.  He took a long gulp of his water as I watched him with my head propped up on my hands.  Suddenly I remembered that I don't know his name.  I have just been calling him kid and boy this entire time.  "What's your name?" I ask him in a soft and friendly tone.  He sets down the drink and puts it back on the table.  "Branden" He says in his little boy voice.  "Well hello Branden.  I am Haliey." I tell him as I stick out my hand waiting for him to shake it.  It quickly dawned on me when he didn't shake my hand and instead gave me a very confused look that he had no idea what he was doing.  

"People shake each others hand when you meet somebody.  It's almost like a hello." I tell him with a smile and he grabs my fingers.  This makes me smirk "Close" I tell him pulling back my hand "What you need to do is to try to make this part of your hands touch each other" I tell him while pointing at the skin between my thumb and pointing finger.  He nods his head and we try again and got that right.  "Great!" I tell him excitedly.  "Now you have to look me in the eye and squeeze as hard as you can and move your hand up and down." I tell him and he does it.  I could feel him tighting his hand and looking up at me with a smile on his face.  "This is weird" he tells me while laughing.  

For the rest of the day I haven't seen Negan at all.  Granted I haven't really been looking for him; instead I have been hanging out with Branden.  We were walking around the santuary and he was scared of the walkers that were outside of the fences but I assured him that we were completely safe.  But he still held my hand the entire way and stayed on the opposite side of me that the walkers were on.  

We walked inside of the building where mostly everybody slept and they all watched us for a second looking at the boy wondering where he came from.  I felt a tug on my arm and I look down and I could tell that he wanted to tell me something.  I bent down to his level and he leaned in and put his hands around his mouth as a funnel and started whispering in my ear.  "Am I going to be sleeping here?" He asked me and I could tell in his voice that is not what he wanted to do.  I shook me head no I did the same thing to him "No you will be staying with me." I whisper to him and he nods and we keep on moving. 

I could tell he was starting to get tired by the ways his eyes werent blinking as fast anymore.  I decided to pick him up and his head automatically went on my shoulders.  This made my heart melt.  I soon found out how bad of an idea that was when I had to talk up all those stairs.  But never the less I did it and almost collapsed when I finally made it.  

I pulled the sheets down and set him down on my bed.  Once I made sure that he was comfortable I pulled the sheets back up and tucked him in.  I turned the over head  light off but kept the lamp on and shut the door behind me.  I decided to go back downstairs and get some food of my own.  

Once I got there I saw that there was a girl that I have never seen before.  This wasn't anything new because over half of the people here I have never talked to before but what made this girl stand out was that she was moving her hands up and down and she looked frusterated.  Wait a minute, is she doing sign language? I thought to myself as I found myself walking over to her.  I was about to say exuse me but then that would really make me look like a fool.  Instead i just tapped her shoulder and she jumped and turned around.  "you deaf?" I signed to her.  

She looked at me like I just brought her the cure to saving the world.  Her smile went all the way up to her ears as she signed back.  "You know sign?" She signed in return.  This cause me to smile.  "Yes. Learned in college" I tell her and she squealed.  "Nobody here knows sign.  I have been so frusterated with only hand motions and having to use my voice all the time." She tells me relieved.  I was about to sign back to her but then I saw her face get pale white and then I heard somebody talking behind me.  

"Well well well Aren't you just full of surprises" Negan tells me as I turn around.  The whole place got quiet and it got real intense really fast.  "Is there anything you can't do?" He asks me.  He has changed out of his clothes that he was wearing earlier today and is now wearing his leather jacket with Lucille hanging off of his shoulders.  He was doing that leaning back thing that he does when he tries to be extra cocky.  "I was just talking to her" I tell him trying to end the conversation becuase I know that it is scaring her. "I can see that" He pauses for a second and starts walking toward me and whispers in my ear and i dont move " You knowing another language has me turned on in ways that you can't imagine" he tells me with that sly grin.  I don't say anything to him in fact I didn't even look towards him as he leaned away.  

"where is that kid of yours" He asked me getting to the real reason he was talking to me.  "Sleeping in my room" I tell him.  This caused him to chuckle but there was no humor behind it.  "Have you noticed that not only did your worst fear of bringing one of them here to this place come true but now you have actually managed to make it worse on yourself by practially killing the only family he had in this world." He tells me and this made my heart start to ache.  I look at him with a mix of confusion and hurt while he was talking to me.  I knew that he was hurt that I hid them but I couldnt understand why he was acting like this.  

"What are you doing?" I asked him in a hurt tone.  "Oh come on Hailey you see me as this big bad  wolf and now I am just showing you how bad I can be" His smile didn't fade as he walked up closer to me again so nobody could hear us "you know you actually started having me fooled-" he was about to keep on talking but I stopped him there.  "Your room.  Now" I told him in a pissed off note.  I had nothing but hate in my eyes and he could see it but he didn't care.  As I walked past him I could hear him chuckling behind me.

As soon as he shut the door behind him I turned around and looked at him.  "How dare you." I tell him with disgust plastered all over my face.  His facial expression didn't change but he dropped the cocky attitude that he had out there was started to look like he normal did.  "Do you have any idea how many opportunities I have had to hate you?  I mean seriously could go on forever for the shit that you have done.  But instead of hating you I straight up told you that I loved you." I tell him and I start to shake my head at how unbelievable he is being. 

" I have forgiven you every time. Every time" I say with gritted teeth because I was so angry "And I had never said anything like that to you." I tell him.  He didn't say anything to me and instead just started looking at the ground.  I knew that I had won so I decided to leave.  I started walking towards the door and he slowly got out of my way so I could open the door all the way and then I was out of there.