CHAPTER 20

Before going to the airport, I went to a famous church in Manila. It was so big and wonderful as you can find peace inside. I walked down inside slowly and led myself to a seat then I kneeled as I said my prayers. After I finished praying, I walked slowly towards the exit when I noticed a girl sitting a few seats away from where I was standing. She noticed also my gaze then started to look on my direction, we locked our gazes, and to my surprise it was Megan. I was suddenly glad then hurried myself to where she was seating. When I was able to reach her, I embraced her instantly.

"I finally found you Megan." I said to her.

"Where have you been Anton? It's been so long since the last time we've met." She replied.

I told her what happened, about the accident, about the amnesia and all that happened that led me in that place. She cried after hearing my story.

"Anton, I thought you have forgotten about me. I tried to call you for a thousand times but I wasn't able to reach through you. That's why I left Puerto Prinsesa to move on." She said while crying.

"We can start again Megan, you and me. We'll live in any place you want and we'll build our family together." I replied to her.

"I'm sorry Anton; it's all too late now."

"Why?"

"Because... I have married recently."

I felt that my world instantly crashed in front of me. For the second time in my life, I felt that my heart was torn into pieces. Suddenly I felt tears gushing out from my two eyes.

"Don't cry Anton, Maybe because we are not really meant for each other. Life has its own ways of finding the right one for us. I know that you're a good person and you'll be able to find a person that is right for you." She said to me.

I tried to steady myself and say something to her in reply but I could not find any words to say to her and I was not comfortable already in the tragic situation I was currently experiencing at that moment, so I bolted out of the church, called for a taxi and went for the airport while crying silently. I noticed that Megan tried to chase me when I tried to peek back through the rear window but the taxi already travelled forward quickly. I just saw her standing outside the church as our distance from each other grew afar.

When I got home, I told my parents everything that had happened and they tried their best to comfort me every day. I was very thankful for that and because of it; I was able to make myself better for just a short period of time.

One day, I tried to move on by keeping all the memories especially the notebook where I have kept my memories in Puerto Prinsesa and of Megan. I placed them in a box where I would keep them in our basement as I did with Cindy, but before I sealed the box, I placed a poem inside it.

For the second time I loved;

For the second time I died;

I don't know why it happened:

It's like I have been deceived.

I just loved with all my heart;

But I was hit by a dart;

By man whose named destiny;

I'm drowned in toxicity.

I don't know what I've done wrong;

To be punished for so long;

Is it for being honest?

To be put to such hard test.

This is the last poem I'll make;

This will be for my heart's sake;

I will forget this chapter;

That has made my soul stutter.

After I sealed the box with tapes, I placed it inside our basement. When I got out of the room, I was called by my mom.

"Anton, we'll be going to the church already." She said.

"Yes Ma, I'll be there already." I replied

Then I took my steps towards her with a smile on my face.