✗ THIRTY-NINE ✗

"Niko!" shrilled Denise when she saw him

"Niko!" shrilled Denise when she saw him. She was not hard to miss in the near-oblivion of the dark space of the warehouse, which was bathed in dark neon colours of blue and purple, flashing and transitioning into one colour to another but the rave's colour palette was purple, black and blue and it never deviated. Denise was the redhead wearing a slinky black lace-top with waist cutouts, black shorts and a tiara near the VIP section, which was a raised podium in the back with white synthetic leather couches, sculpted metallic chairs surrounding streamline glass tables.

The tiara almost fell off her head when she jumped onto Niko into a massive bear-hug. "You guys are here," she exclaimed, clapping her head, "We have, like, three massive bottles of Grey Goose and we're about to make, like, fifty Jaegar bombs so you guys came exactly at the right time."

"Damn," Sebastian whistled over the noise, which was heard by Denise who grinned silly at him, "You're treating us right."

Denise giggled and looped her arms around both their necks, "Anything for my favourite boys. You have my pills?" She looked intently at Niko, who smirked.

"Of course, darling," Niko promised and she laughed, leading both of them into a section that has been fenced off. It was the VIP section of the warehouse with makeshift couches at the back of the room. Denise's friends occupied all the couches, clutching their glasses. The boys smoked and the girls were dancing, swaying to the vibrating house music- the warmup before the party started.

"Drink?" Denise asked Sebastian, holding out the bottle of grey goose and a clean, empty glass.

Sebastian nodded, "Thanks." She poured, filling almost half of the glass with vodka and then replacing the other half with coke. "Enjoy." She winked.

Sebastian sipped, the sweetness masking the burn as it went down easily without effort. As Sebastian started to relax, nodding his head to the repetitive simplistic beat, he saw Arissa sitting by the corner, chatting with a boy who had his hand around her delicate neck. The boy was probably from Denise's private school since he seemed to be wearing a flashy expensive Rolex with jeans that cost too much.

Arissa was beautiful and Sebastian's heart skipped a beat every time his eyes landed on her- but it was more of a skip from fear. Her dark hair was twisted into some complicated, straight high ponytail and her lips were black, with a darkened contour and shadowy eye makeup. She wore a black, skimpy romper, showing her long legs in black strappy stilettos. A cigarette was in between her fingers, the burnt end flagrantly nearing the rim of her drink. Their eyes collided and Arissa smiled nervously, her eyes rimmed red like she was crying. He smiled back.

"So," Denise's eyes twinkled mischievously as she hurried them into seats next to her, the plush cushion bending under their weight, "What you got me?"

Niko casually sipped his rum and coke, handing her a silver patterned birthday bag, "Your favourite."

Denise squealed and hugged Niko, which was an indication she had a few too many drinks. "You guys are awesome!" she exclaimed, "Now come on- you two are coming to dance with me."

Without much choice and waiting for a protest, Denise dragged them by the wrists, pulling them up towards the dancefloor where most of the rave was beginning to gain fervour. 

Sebastian shook his head but smiled in mirth, looking up at the ceiling of fog and bright neon lights as he began to sway back and forth and rocked his head to the trap music. At some point, Arissa and her guy came to join them on the floor in the heaping throng of people doused in ultraviolet light. Denise handed him his glass and he drank it, gulping it down, drowning himself in the drink as his fears melted away and gave in to joy.

Niko smirked at him from the gap between Denise and Arissa dancing together and Sebastian laughed, smiling back.

The night wasn't starting out too bad.

Oh, if only he knew. 

-

HA SIKEEE

song of the update: afterparty by 12am

dedicated toboysterous.