A r c O n e ✘ The Life of a Villainess

The Game of Love and War: Lovelorn
©Emika36

Eight year old Clara Skotadi smiled brightly as she poked her head out the carriage window. Her cropped blue hair was tossed about by the wind, clear blue eyes sparkling.  She looked out excitedly at the palace papa said she's going to live in the future. The Diatiro Castle was made of diamonds, from their symbolic crystal. Towers upon towers twisted way up to the clouds, shimmering brightly with the rays of the sun. It was sparkling and she... she was awestruck.

"Clara, dearest, get back in here," Her father pulled her head back into the carriage. He was about to scold his daughter but seeing her bright grin, he sighed. "I know you're excited to meet Avarys but please calm down."

"But papa, I haven't seen him for two weeks," Clara pouted, crossing her arms over her chest. "I'm gonna marry him in the future right? Please?" She pouted while giving him her deluxe puppy eyes.

"But that's-" His voice died in his throat. Clara knows that Papa was more attentive than other parents. Whatever she asks, he gives it to her. People say that the shrewd businessman was unnecessarily spoiling his daughter, but to Clara, she thinks papa just loves her like any normal father and daughter.

It has been years since mama died. All they have now is each other. At the tender age of eight, Clara knows how to manipulate people to get her way. It isn't even something new - because Clara Skotadi always gets what she wants, no matter the price, no matter the consequences. Be it jewels, dresses and shoes, papa always makes a way. So of course, even if it's to marry the crown prince in the future, she's sure papa would make a way for her. Like he always does.

"My papa's the most powerful duke of Gardenia right? And you're close with the king." Clara gushed exaggeratedly, watching her father sweatdrop and look the other way.

"Well, that's true."

"I'm sure papa could make a way so that I'd marry Avarys." She gave him a disarming grin. "Because papa is powerful!"

Duke Lidius Skotadi sighed, really, he is told he is spoiling his daughter so much since his late wife died but sometimes her requests are just so unreasonable.

"Clara, papa is powerful but-"

Her big blue eyes teared up. Her lips trembled and she looked as if ready to burst out crying and wailing if he said no.

Maybe it was his fault for spoiling her rotten, but he'd like to think that he's only giving her the love she deserves in the absence of her mother. Due to that, the word "no" does not belong in little Clara's dictionary.

"—Even if your request is impossible, I'd talk to the king sweetheart." He relented, patting her head. Clara looked so happy, absolutely glowing like the time he bought her that expensive lilac dress from Margarett's or that turquoise necklace from Rosemond's fief.

"Papa you're the best!" Clara hugged him happily.

Aye, sometimes, he should really know how to say NO to Clara.

But seeing her so happy, as Duke Skotadi thought, it's impossible.

♡♡♡

Clara Skotadi met Avarys Diatiro two weeks ago when papa brought her with him to the Diatiro Castle. Clara expected that it would be dragged out and boring, like all those times he went to other noble's houses. She expected she'd rot away waiting while her father discusses something super important but that's just what she expected.

Instead, she met her Prince Charming.

How could she describe their first meeting? - Sparks flew? Destiny made a way?