Sleep Deprivation

Maria sighed in annoyance when she realized that once again she wasn't going to be getting any sleep tonight. Maria knows that because this has been going on for the past several weeks, she should certainly go to the doctors; everyone knows though that she is very stubborn. As she silently gets off her bed, she wonders why this always happens to her. She starts rummaging through the medicine cabinet and thinks that maybe her late hours at work are to blame, or maybe she's just taken on too much school. One thing is for sure, the effects of having no sleep could be dangerous. As she comes up empty handed, she angrily slams the door of the medicine cabinet shut. Stomping to the kitchen, she grabs her car keys, hoping that she's awake enough to drive to the nearest convenience store. Once she's there, she quickly heads into the sleep aids aisle. As she searches for what she needs, she knows that she is sleep deprived.

She sighs in luck when she grabs the only one left of what she's looking for and drags herself to the cashier. While she's being rung up, she figures that she might as well grab a coffee; she's not sleeping tonight anyways. After getting her coffee rung up also, she slaps enough amount of money onto the counter and mutters to the chirpy lady to keep the change. She doesn't understand how someone can be so happy and hyper at this time of night. She shrugs it off though and grabs her stuff, making her way back to her car. Once she's gotten back to her apartment, she sits unhappily at her kitchen table. After downing some pills with her coffee, she decides to head to the other room and watch tv, hoping against all odds that she may get a couple hours of sleep in; TV's are always helpful. She sloppily tosses a pillow and blanket on the couch and after finishing off her coffee, lays down; already knowing that she's not going to have a good day at work tomorrow.

*

"Are you sure you can get through eight hours of work today? You look pretty awful. No offense, of course." Maria's boss asks because she's a family friend. She's very aware of Maria's problem. Maria doesn't respond. She's sick of everyone pointing out her problem.

"I'm handling it." Is all Maria can muster as she heads to her work area. After a grueling hour of putting parts where they should go, she spots her ex-friend coming near. She silently groans, wishing that the Gods were in her favor and that she wouldn't have to work with Larissa today. They aren't. Larissa doesn't even bat an eye as she walks up to Maria's station and begins to copy Maria. Maria knows that it's only a certain amount of time until Larissa starts making conversation.

"So, I heard that you've been in need of help. I decided to join you, if that's okay." Maria says nothing. All she wants is for her break to come quicker so she can grab a coffee; she can already feel herself slipping.

"You can take my break, if you want. It looks like you need it." Maria knows that Larissa is only trying to help, but it only angers her. She makes her hands into fists and then let's them soften again, repeating the process a couple times.

"You don't have to pity me anymore." Maria answers, and, with a quick glance Larissa's way, "we're not friends, remember?" Then she leaves. It's unfortunate, but she goes to the only place she can think of. Her ex-boyfriends station. Thankfully, he hasn't arrived yet. Maria realizes it's only a matter of time though, so she works hard.

*

"Maria?" She freezes. She was so into her work, she never noticed Keith had arrived 10 minutes ago. He gently takes the tool that she had, from her hand. She shakes her head, trying to snap out of it. She can't get the image out of her head. She blames her emotions on her lack of sleep.

"Anna wants you at the front desk." He says simply. As he gets to work, she slowly makes her way to Anna; she can feel eyes on her though, it's uncomfortable.

"It's your break." Anna tells Maria as soon as she appears. Maria is getting mad. She doesn't want pity, her break isn't for another hour. She wants to complain. But she doesn't push her luck. She nods once, and heads to the break room, getting a coffee as quickly as she can.