v. dustin's new pet

CHAPTER FIVE:DUSTIN'S NEW PET

CHAPTER FIVE:
DUSTIN'S NEW PET

■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■

LIZ WAS CONFUSED once she sat down in her regular seat and didn't see brown curls in front of her. It was strange but she just assumed that Dustin was sick or just woke up late. The door opened and in came Max, which made Liz's eyes light up. She smiled at Max as she walked in and Max smiled back at her. Mike lightly hit her arm, and she looked at him as he gave her an annoyed look, "What?" He just shook his head.

As class started, Liz put her head in her hands as she listened to what Mr. Clarke was doing, and talking about as he used to the projector. There was picture of a human skull on it.

"The case of Phineas Gage is one of the greatest medical curiosities of all time. Phineas was a railroad worker in 1848 who had a nightmarish accident. A large iron rod was driven completely through his head." Mr. Clarke explains, using a marker to draw a line through the skull. "Phineas miraculously survived. He seemed fine. And physically, yes, he was. But his injury resulted in a complete change to his personality. So much so that friends that knew him started referring to him as No longer Gage. At the time, this was known as the American Crowbar Case. Although it wasn't a–"

Liz jumps slightly as the door gets slammed open by Dustin who runs into the room, panting, "I am so sorry, Mr. Clarke. Really, I'm so sorry. Please continue with the class. Don't mind me. Really, continue, please."

   "Although it wasn't a crowbar, it was a rod, as I said." Mr. Clarke continues.

   Dustin turns around and the group leans forward to hear him better, "We have to meet. All of us. At lunch, AV Club."

   "Why?" Mike questions.

   "I have something that you won't believe." Dustin explains. The group nods and they go back to listening to Mr. Clarke, except for Dustin who proceeded to mouth to Max what they were doing at lunch so she could join. Liz almost didn't want Max to join them, but not for the same reason as Mike. She doesn't want Max to get tangled up in the things that happened to them last year. She wouldn't be able to forgive herself if Max got hurt because of it.

   "Dustin!" Mr. Clarke scolded.

   "Yes, my lord?" He questions, turning back to the front of the room.

   "Would you care to join the class now?" Mr. Clarke questions.

   "Please, yes!" Dustin says, getting his book out of his backpack.