xv. benched & beaten

CHAPTER FIFTEEN:BENCHED & BEATEN

CHAPTER FIFTEEN:
BENCHED & BEATEN

■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■

   THE GROUP JOINED together again at the table a few minutes later. Eleven was now back with the group and standing beside Hopper, "It's not like it was before. It's grown, a lot. I mean, that's considering we can get in there, the place is crawling with those dogs."

   "Demodogs." Dustin corrected.

   Hopper paused, furrowing his brows, "I'm sorry, what?"

   "I said, uh, Demodogs. Like Demogorgon and dogs." Dustin explained, not realizing that Hopper didn't care what it Dustin had said, but why he said it and why Dustin thought this was the time and place to correct him on something that wasn't important, "You put 'em together, it sounds pretty badass—"

   "How is this important right now?" Hopper interrupted.

   "It's not, I'm sorry," Dustin states, looking away in embarrassment. Liz rubbed his arm, feeling slightly bad for him.

   "I can do it." Eleven states, looking up at Hopper with a hopeful look in her eyes.

   "You're not hearing me," Hopper states, trying to change her mind.

   "I'm hearing you. I can do it." Eleven says confidently.

   "Even if El can, there's still another problem." Mike starts. "If the brain dies, the body dies."

   "I thought that was the whole point." Max said, furrowing her brows in confusion.

   "It is, but if we're really right about this... I mean, if El closes the gate and kills the Mind Flayer's army—"

   "Will's a part of that army," Lucas states.

   "He'll die along with that thing," Liz adds.

   "Closing the gate will kill him," Mike nods.

   The group was silent for a minute, until Joyce pushed back her chair, making it scrape against the floor. She moved to Will's bedroom with the rest of the group following her. She pushed open the door of his bedroom, allowing the cold November air to hit the group. Liz felt chills run up her spine at the brisk, night air hitting her.

   "He likes it cold," Joyce mumbled.

   "What?"