xvi. into the tunnels

CHAPTER SIXTEEN:INTO THE TUNNELS

CHAPTER SIXTEEN:
INTO THE TUNNELS

■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■

     LIZ WAS SQUISHED in between Mike and her brother in the back seat of Billy Hargrove's car. Max was driving with Lucas in the front seat, giving her directions. Mike had a bottle of gasoline in his hands while an unconscious Steve had his head rested on Liz's shoulder, as Dustin held an ice pack to his head. Steve's wounds had started to swell and the kids had decided to stick bandaids all over his face since he was bleeding so much. Liz looked over at her brother and frowns, feeling bad that Steve got beat up for them but proud of him for putting up a good fight before he blacked out.

   "Nancy?" Steve slurs as he's finally awake, moving his head off Liz's shoulder and looking at Mike, who gives him a glare. Steve groans and goes to rub his eyes, but Dustin moves his hands away from his face.

   "No, don't touch it," Dustin instructed making Steve look at him, and Dustin smiles. "Hey, buddy... shush. It's okay. You put up a good fight. He kicked your ass, but you put up a good fight buddy, okay? You're okay."

   "Okay, you're gonna keep straight for a half a mile... then make a left on Mount Sinai," Lucas tells Max as they drive down a deserted road.

   "What's... What's going on?" Steve questions. Max met his eyes, and he finally realized what was happening. Max was driving them to the hole Hopper had dug into the tunnels. Steve started to panic, "Oh, my God!"

   "Steve, relax," Dustin tells him, rubbing his shoulder to try to calm him down. "She's driven before."

   "Yeah, in a parking lot," Mike argues.

   "That counts," Lucas argues from the passenger seat.

   Liz starts to rub Steve's arm and glares at Mike and Lucas, "Don't talk about Max's driving experience! You're starting to freak him out!"

   "Oh, my God!"

   "They were gonna leave you behind. Liz and I promised that you'd be cool, okay?" Dustin tells him, trying to calm him, but not doing a great job of it.

   Max starts to speed down the abandoned road, making Steve even more freaked out and panicked, "Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. What's going on?"

   "Max, you maybe wanna slow down?" Liz yells at the girl, but she kept going faster.

   "Oh, my God! No! Whoa, stop the car! Slow down!"