xxviii. nancy drew

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT:NANCY DREW

NANCY DREW

■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■

   THEY GOT TO the house quickly with Nancy going ten over the speed limit the entire way there. Liz practically tore the backseat apart, gripping it with her nails with each sharp turn or pothole Nancy hit. Liz loved Nancy but she was a terrible driver or at least when she was in a hurry she was. Before the engine was even turned off, everyone was scrambling out of the car but nobody faster than Liz who honestly thought she might hurl due to Nancy's aggressive driving.

   Nancy and Jonathan led the group up to the front door where they rang the doorbell. Nancy waited a few seconds before ringing it again. When it was clear nobody was home, Nancy and Jonathan turned to Eleven who was right behind them. She moved her head swiftly, opening the door for everyone with ease. Even after seeing her do that several hundred times, Liz still had to admit it was cool.

   The group filed into the house, Nancy and Jonathan leading, "Tom? Heather?"

   "Jesus, it's freezing," Max complained as they moved deeper into the house. She instinctively moved closer to Liz for warmth. Soon, the goosebumps on Liz's arm weren't caused by the cold but instead by the cute redhead huddling close to her.

   They made their way into the living room when a disgusting and very strong smell hit their senses. Nancy turned to the kids, "Do you guys smell that?" They moved towards the kitchen where the smell was even stronger due to the many bottles of chemicals out on the counters, practically empty but still smelly. "Oh, God. More chemicals."

   "Do you think they're guzzling this shit?" Jonathan asked, picking up one of the cans.

   "Yeah, either that or they went on one hell of a cleaning spree."

   "But last year, Will didn't eat chemicals," Max pointed out, looking to Will. "Did you?"

   "No," Will shook his head. "This is something new."

   "Mister Clarke. Fifth grade. Posit," Mike started, looking at his friends and trying to help them remember. "What happens when you mix the chemicals together?"

   Liz nods, along with Lucas and Will, "You create a new substance."

   "What if they're making something?"

   "In themselves," Max asked. "I mean, come on, if you drink this crap, it'll kill you."

   Lucas nods, "Yeah, if you're human."