xxv. poolside stakeout

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE: POOLSIDE STAKEOUT

POOLSIDE STAKEOUT

■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■

   LIZ WOULD'VE LOVED to have woken up by the sunlight shining through the blinds, but instead, she had to be woken up by the sound of radio static and the voice of Lucas Sinclair. Liz slowly opened her eyes and she felt Max groan against her shoulder. The voice continued as the girls laid there, all of them hoping Lucas would give up, but no, he continued, "Do you copy? This is a code red. I repeat, this is a code red. Max. Do you copy? This is a code red."

   Max groaned again before turning over and grabbing her walkie talkie off the floor, "Shut... up!" Max turned it off before setting it on her nightstand. She turned back over so she was facing Liz and rested her arm across Liz's waist.

   The two girls slowly started to fall back asleep for a good couple of minutes until the phone started to ring. Max immediately sat up and groaned, "You've got to be kidding me." Max angrily threw the covers off of her before stomping over to the phone. "I'm sleeping! Go away!"

   Liz sat up and watched as Max started to put the phone done but stopped and held it back up to her ear. "What are you talking about?" A couple of seconds went by and Liz was starting to wonder why Lucas was calling so early. "What?"

   "What did he say?" El asked from her spot on the floor.

   Max slowly set the phone down. Liz sat up even more as Max turned around, a confused look on her face, "It was Mike. He wants us to come over, apparently, it's important, and it could be a matter of life or death, whatever the hell that means. Do you guys think we should go?"

   Liz sighs, "If we don't, they're just gonna keep calling, so we might as well go. Plus, it might actually be important."

   "We should go," El agrees.

   Max groaned before walking over to her dresser and pulling out some clothes for both her and Liz, "This better not be a prank."

◌ ◌ ◌

   The girls quickly left Max's house and headed over to Mike's. Liz had borrowed a pair of shorts and a t-shirt from Max. Once again, the clothes smelled like Max and it made Liz smile. Despite knowing they had to be at Mike's as soon as possible, Max took her time on Liz's hair that morning, putting it in a braid again. It didn't take long and soon the girls were out the door, heading to Mike's house.

   When they got there, Mike answered the door and brought them all downstairs where Will immediately started explaining, "I didn't think it was anything at first. I mean, I think I just didn't want to believe it. The first time I felt it was at Day of the Dead."