xxvii. the flayed

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN:THE FLAYED

THE FLAYED

■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■

THEY HAD STAYED at Mike's house that night. Liz had stopped the bleeding from her cut, which was deeper than she originally thought but she knew she would be fine. When they woke up the next morning, they all agreed that they needed to find Hopper, knowing that he would know what to do. Once Eleven had gotten her strength up again, she was given a blindfold. Liz and Max were sitting next to each other on the floor across from the couch where Eleven was, searching in the void for Hopper. Max had given Liz multiple worried glances, even though Liz had reassured the redhead that she was fine multiple times.

"I found him," Eleven spoke after a few minutes.

Max sat up, "Where is he?"

"Woods," Eleven explained. "He's with... Will's mom."

Will leaned forward from behind Max, "My — My mom?"

Max furrowed her brows, "What are they doing?"

"Ill... annoy," Eleven mumbled. The group all gave confused looks, not understanding what she meant. "They're going to Ill-annoy."

"Mike! Breakfast!" Mrs. Wheeler yelled down as she knocked on the basement door.

"Not now, Mom!" Mike shouted before turning back towards the group. "Illinois? Illinois, like the state? The state of Illinois?"

Eleven took off the blindfold and shrugged, "Ill-annoy."

Liz sighs and starts to rest her head in her hand but winces once she feels her cut. Max notices, giving the girl a worried glance. Liz gets up and heads towards the bathroom. Once she turns the light on, she sees that her cut had started bleeding again and it didn't look very good. Liz sighs, "Shit." As she grabbed a washcloth, someone knocked on the door. "Yeah?"

The door opened and there stood Max. She walked in and closed the door behind her, "How's your cut?"

Liz frowns, looking back in the mirror and the long, bloody cut that stretched across her cheekbone, "It started bleeding again and it hurts like a bitch."

Max chuckles, "That's because you didn't clean it properly." She starts to grab items from the shelf including rubbing alcohol and bandages. "Can I help?"

Liz shook her head, "It's alright. I can handle it. Water and soap will do the job."

Max grabbed Liz's hand, "Liz, please." Liz looked at Max and saw the girl was practically begging Liz to let her help. "It's my fault you got hurt. Can you at least let me fix it?"