xxix. independence day

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE:INDEPENDENCE DAY

INDEPENDENCE DAY

■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■

   FOURTH OF JULY morning, Liz and the rest of the gang all made their way to El and Hopper's cabin. Their main goal was to find out where the hell the Holloway family, Mrs. Driscoll, or Billy was. Wherever one of them was, it would lead them to the rest. For the past half an hour or so, they had been sitting around the cabin, waiting for Eleven to finish finding them. She had locked herself in her room, searching the void to attempt to find them.

   While Eleven was doing that, Mike was pacing outside the bedroom door, Lucas was eating some cereal out of the box on one of the couches. Max and Liz, who hadn't yet been able to talk about what had almost happened the day before, were sitting next to each other on the love seat. Nancy was on the phone in the kitchen, calling anybody who might have some sort of lead or answers for them while Jonathan and Will sat at the breakfast bar.

   "It can't be good for her to be in there this long," Mike argued for the hundredth time.

   Max sighed, "Mike, you need to relax."

   "What if she gets brain damage or something?" Mike continued.

   Liz frowned at him, "Brain damage? Really?"

   "Oh, shit," Lucas gasped. "Is that, like, a real thing?"

   "No, it's not. He made it up," Max shook her head. "Mike doesn't know what the hell he's talking about."

   "Oh, and you do?" Mike sassed.

   Liz sat up, "Mike, don't be a dick."

   "I'm not!" Mike argued, prompting Liz to roll her eyes. "I'm just saying, Max doesn't know everything."

   "No, I don't," Max agreed. "That's the difference between me and you. I can actually admit that I don't know everything."

   "What's that supposed to mean?"

   Liz got up, moving toward the kitchen where no argument was happening. She had been in the middle of a Max and Mike argument before and it always ended with one of them walking away being pissed at Liz for a week. As much as Liz hated to admit it, she was the mom of her friend group and it sucked a lot, especially when it came to arguments so anytime one started, she tended to just walk away.

   As Liz entered the kitchen, Jonathan was crossing off another business they had tried to call that would give them any answers about anything. Nancy slammed the phone back down on the receiver and sighed, "Who's next?"