xxiv. wonder woman

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR:WONDER WOMAN

WONDER WOMAN

■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■

   THE RAIN WAS still falling hard when they reached Heather's house. The only thing that was helping them see through the rain was the street lights that were the main sources of light since the sun had gone down. They had decided to stop and get bikes as they all preferred to ride their bikes in the pouring rain rather than walk. El, who didn't have a bike, rode on the back of Max's.

   Liz was completely soaked. There wasn't a single portion of her body that wasn't soaked in rainwater. Her entire body felt like a prune and all she wanted was to go home, take a warm shower, and go to bed. El nodded to the two girls when they stopped in front of the house, confirming that it was the same one she had seen in her head. They walked up to the front door and set their bikes down on the lawn.

   El narrowed her eyes as she stared at the door. The lock clicked and the door slowly opened up. As they stepped inside, they lowered their raincoat hoods. The sound of soft music filled their ears. It sounded like the kind of music you would hear at a fancy restaurant. They walked into the foyer and turned a corner down a small hallway. Picture frames lined the hallway, one of which showed Heather and her family, confirming to the group that this was Heather's house.

   "This is her house," Max announced. El seemed confused, so Max continued. "Heather's house."

   A faint laugh was heard echoing from another part of the house. The three girls shared a look before turning down another hallway. It lead to the living room which was connected to the dining room. When the girls walked in, Liz was met with a scene she didn't expect to see. It was Billy have dinner with Heather's parents and they were laughing, clearly having a good time. There was music playing and wine was being poured. Nothing seemed dangerous or strange. When the three girls walked in, it went quiet except for the music playing softly from the stereo. Heather's parents looked very confused while Billy's smile only fell slightly, "Max."

   "We didn't mean to... barge in," Max starts, also not expecting this scene in front of her. The way El described everything, they all thought Heather was in danger. "We tried to knock, but... maybe you didn't hear us over the storm."

   "I'm sorry, who is this dripping all over my living room right now?" Mr. Holloway asked, clearly annoyed that three girls he didn't know were making puddles on his floor.

   Billy chuckled before setting down the fork he had been using to cut up a steak, "I'm sorry. Janet, Tom, this... is my sister, Maxine."

   Janet smiled "Oh!"

   Billy stood up from the table and walked over to the three girls. He was smiling but something seemed off, "What on earth are you doing here? Is something wrong?"