xix. home sweet home

CHAPTER NINETEEN:HOME SWEET HOME

CHAPTER NINETEEN:
HOME SWEET HOME

■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■

   DUSTIN WAS SET to get home that morning and Liz couldn't be happier. He had only been gone for a month but that was a month too long. Because of how excited she was for Dustin to come home, she pitched an idea to the group. She knew the minute Dustin got into town he would be calling them over the radios, so, she had a plan that they all ignore his calls and surprise him in his house when he got home. The gang loved the idea and checked it over with his mom who thought it was a cute idea.

   They were currently waiting for him to get home, which Liz guessed would be in the next couple of minutes. They had the banner and noisemakers ready for surprising him. El would use her powers to power up all the robots he had in his room and they would lead him into the living room where they would surprise him.

   They were all talking amongst themselves, waiting for Dustin to get home, but Liz shushed them all the second she heard the car pulling into the driveway. They quickly hid behind a wall as Dustin walked into the house. He went straight to his room and that's when Mike nodded at El, who closed her eyes. The noises of the robots whirring and making sounds sounded from his bedroom. Max glanced over at Liz and gave her a small smile, happy that the plan was going well.

   The sounds started to get closer, indicating the robots were moving in towards the living room. Dustin was clearly following them as Liz heard him mumble, "This is just a dream. You're dreaming." Liz suppressed a giggle, knowing Dustin was probably freaked out.

   "Now," Mike whispered to El once Dustin was in the living room. She opened her eyes, blood falling from her nose as the noises stopped.

   The gang follows Lucas into the living room and surround him as he holds up the sign that reads, Welcome Home Dustin. Dustin was kneeling on the ground, examining one of the robots, trying to figure out what happened.  He stood up as Max counted down with her fingers. Liz smiled largely and all at once, they blew their noisemakers. Dustin screams and immediately turns around, holding up a can of Farrah Fawcett spray before spraying it directly into Lucas's eyes as Dustin screamed.

   Liz backed away immediately, pushing Max with her. Lucas and Dustin both screamed as the spray collected in Lucas's eyes. Liz put a hand over her mouth and prayed that Lucas would just use his hand to block the spray but that didn't happen until a few seconds later. Dustin eventually came to his senses and lowered the can, "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! Holy shit!"

   "Oh my god, are you okay?" Max asks, rushing over to Lucas who was clearly in a lot of pain.

   "No!" Lucas answers, covering his eyes with his hands. "What the hell?"