xviii. power outage

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN:POWER OUTAGE

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN:
POWER OUTAGE

■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■

JUNE 28, 1985

   SUMMER IN HAWKINS was always hot. The temperatures went up, car windows went down, the drinks were served colder, the clothes were smaller, and everybody always seemed to be a little happier, except Liz Harrington. Now, Liz loved the summertime, she really did, but half of her friend group were in relationships while she was hiding who she really was. She loved that her friends were happy and in love, she thought it was adorable, but when it came to Max and Lucas, she tended to get annoyed and jealous. Liz was just happy Max and Lucas weren't as touchy as Mike and El. Still, Liz was always the one who had to listen to Max talk about her relationship problems and her frustrations with Lucas who she continued to date even though she had broken up with him five times. But, as much as Liz loved Max, it was very annoying at times.

   Will and Liz were the only ones not in relationships, so for the first month of summer, they had started hanging out more than usual. With Dustin at camp and Max, Lucas, Mike, and El out being in love, Liz and Will were forced to get closer, which Liz was happy about but hated how it had to happen.

   Liz had barely gotten to spend any time with her brother since he got a job at Scoops Ahoy in the new Starcourt Mall. She had helped him prepare for his interview and even let him practice on her. Now, with his job, he gives Liz free ice cream but only Liz, which annoyed the rest of the party.

   Most summer nights, Liz spent with her friends at the mall or with Max at Liz's house for a sleepover. They had sleepovers almost every weekend, mainly after they saw a movie at the theater in the mall. Tonight was no different except Max wasn't spending the night that night. They were, however, seeing a movie with Lucas, Will, and Mike. The movie started at 8, but it was now 8:10 and Mike had still not shown up. Liz was very annoyed since she loved seeing the previews but they couldn't go in without Mike.

   Liz paced outside of the entrance to the mall as they waited for Mike who Liz just knew he would be late. He was most likely making out with El and trying not to be killed by Hopper who hated how much time the two were spending together. Ever since they got together, Mike and El had been inseparable and yes, it was sort of cute, but Liz also found it to be annoying and when Liz brought this up to Max one time, Max had told her that Liz only thought that because she's single and that once she got a boyfriend, she would act the same way El and Mike did. Liz wanted to scream at Max and tell her that she doesn't want a boyfriend, she wants the girl that was standing right in front of her, but she held her tongue and just smiled.

   Liz sighed in relief once Mike finally pulled up, slamming down on the brakes so hard on his bike that the tires squeaked against the pavement. Lucas walked up to him with his arms crossed, "You're late."