Time Will Tell

The fucking cake collapsed. Just like that. I removed it from the oven, placed it to cool, went back to ice it and the bastard had sank right in the middle. It looked more like a skateboarders dream half-pipe.

As I scrapped it off into the garbage, I wondered why I couldn't make the simplest things work. I felt unshed tears threaten my eye's but I refused to let them win.  Shaking my head, I glanced over at little Cole gnawing on his fingers and it dawned on me... I need to get out. I needed a break from the baby, from this apartment, from the mommy life.

Knowing it was to late to catch Sam, I phoned my next best go-to in my life...my Pape.

"Hello dollbaby".

Instantly I smiled and asked. "Whatcha doing?"

"I'm working".

"Anything important?"

He chuckled and said. "What is it Mirimosa. What do you need?"

"Take me out Pape".

"Don't you have a husband for that now dollbaby?"

"Yes, but I don't won't to bother him".

"So you choose to bother me, huh?"

"I enjoy bothering you more".

"I can see that. Give me thirty minutes to finish this up and I'll be there".

"Thanks Pape, you never fail me".

He mumbled "brat" and we disconnected.

Hurriedly, I phoned my trusted sitter and quickly made myself presentable for the public. Pape arrived right on time and smothered little Cole in kisses. As he handed him over to the sitter his look of warning didn't go unnoticed. I rushed him out the door before he could frighten the sitter further.

Just as I suspected, he took me to my favorite restaurant. The same place he has taken me since childhood. Ordering our usual we began to chat about this and that.

"Heard from mom yet?"

"Had dinner with her last night as a matter of fact".

I grinned. "So you found her?"

"When have I not found your mother".

"But I'm sensing she didn't come home?"

"That would be correct".

"Are you going to do it Pape?" I asked innocently.

"What is that dollbaby?"

"You know, retire. Give it to Demarco".

I watched him take a deep breath and fiddle with his fork. "I'm not sure. It's all about timing".

"What?" I screeched softly.

"You mean you'd let mom go through with this over the business?"

"It's never been that simple Mirimosa. Besides it's not anyone's business but ours".

I made a judgemental face and he grumbled. "Don't do that. Looks just like your mothers bullshit attitude. How's thing's with you and that fuck your married to?"

I laughed. Pape has always ragged on Cole, but I knew he didn't mean it.

"Fine. Why do you ask?"

"He still coming home late?"

"Occasionally yes, but you yourself know how tedious the job is".

I seen a dark look cross his features and he fixed me with that warning glare. Leaning up closer to the table he said. "I didn't raise any fools Mirimosa. You need to check him on this. Stand your ground and if you need me I'm just down the hall".