Unraveling

I stayed on the line until it went dead. Something about the way Laney said goodbye seemed final. I had no meeting to rush to. It was a excuse to get off the phone with her. If I'd held on much longer I would have caved and raced to her. I can't give her what she needs. I can't retire, but mainly when she took up for Conner it cut me to the bone. I can't understand why she would side with them, go against me.

My daughter was hurt by their son and I'm just following tradition. Conner knows the protocol himself. He should turn his son over or stand out of my way. Not help the bastard. By doing so he has committed treason within the family.  He is the enemy. Why can't Laney see this?

Then there's Demarco. Never would I have thought that he would move off. He still checks in daily to keep from being listed as a runner but we avoid each other. I haven't uttered a word to him since we hashed it out in my office over Miri ruling. I understand that he's pissed but he still has a responsibility to me and this business.  Miri will do fine I'm sure but I am aware that she won't rule for long and then may be Dem has matured enough to handle the title.

Most day's I'm tired and irritable from overworking, keeping up with everything and lack of sleep. I will admit pushing Laney out impacted the business. She kept up with everything, made sure it ran smoothly, and reminded me of important dates, deals, and just every fucking thing while busting her ass at her own company. Where she gets the energy from I'll never know. Finding someone to replace her and Demarco has been a feat. Plus Marcus will retire very soon. My hands are tied and I can't catch up.

Recently it was brought to my attention that our sales are slacking off and several of my men has abandoned this family for another new Empire that is trying to rise. At first, I wasn't worried. Most fall apart before they even get started but this one is growing rapidly, getting to strong. It's time to stop them, bring them down. Problem is no one knows who it is. All we know is the name is HV and their taking my clientele. No location where their headquarters is, no names, faces, nothing. When I do figure them out it will be hell to pay, and I will figure this out.

The annual meeting is coming up. I haven't attended in the last few year's but with this new group I need  to make my appearance. Maybe they will be there or someone will know who they are. Besides I need to pull new client's in and possibly make new deal's. My business hasn't slumped like this since I took over as a kid. All this is due to that new group HV. Okay, I admit some of it lies with me. I've put forth too much time and effort in finding Cole and let the business slip, but now I'm back on my game.

Yes, I've thought about putting my revenge on the back burner for now but if I do so I'll be considered weak and getting soft. I'm the fucking mob boss. It's my job to be cold and ruthless. If my enemies hear that I let just one person slide they'll assume I'm growing weak and try something. Not only that, my own men would question if I was strong enough to rule. I have no room in my life for remorse, sympathy or understanding. My heart's cold, always has been. There's only one person that could ever break beyond that barrier and I've pushed her away.

Walking into the extra room that Laney used as her home office, I looked around at all of her belongings I stashed here. Her clothes, jewlery, wedding dress. It all was still here. I didn't get rid of anything, I just told her that. Streaching out on her lounge  I half laughed when I thought back to how we met. I should've killed her for robbing me and I wouldn't have this headache now, but I couldn't. Even before I knew her name she had turned me into a weak man, memorized me with those eye's and voice of an angel. All the hell I've put her through over the year's yet she stayed. She loved me, was devoted to me with everything she had. I should have set her free years ago.

Pushing Laney from my thoughts I picked up my phone and made arrangements to attend this meeting.

Seven day's later my plane touched down in Paris. I brought a few men with me including Marcus. This would be his last meeting and he was thrilled to get it over with. Him and Cinda had already made plans to travel the world for a bit. Even though I hated to lose him, I was happy for them. Him and Conner both were strong enough to give their women what they needed. Why couldn't I?

I stayed in my hotel until it was time to attend the meeting. I was in no mood for site seeing or fun. I just wanted to get this over and go home.

I arrived early and took my seat. It was awkward not having Laney by my side. I watched as other important people filed in. Some I knew, some I hated, and some new people. We all walked in with our protection but there was one group that caught everyone's attention. It was if a small army marched in. As they reached their table someone finally emerged from the inner circle of protection. It was none other than Luca Stinilli. Fucking bastard I thought. However it was obvious he had a very valuable lady with him. No one arrives with that much protection unless their guarding their heart in the center of that circle. I would know, that's how I guarded Laney. All eye's was on this circle curious as to who it was. Luca usually always came alone and I haven't heard of a women on his life.

As he stood outside of the circle he scanned the area for any unseen dangers, a look on his face that meant to put fear in other's if they thought of trying anything. Once he felt all was secure, he looked into the center of the circle, his scowl disappearing and replaced with a endearing smile. He extended his hand to the lady and everyone got their first glimpse of the mystery woman as a delicate, slender arm poked out. Her perfectly polished nails blood red accompanied with a strand of pearls wrapped loosely around her wrist. Then their was a beautiful leg brought into view. Red bottom heels adorned the dainty foot along with a skin tight red dress that promised heaven existed under that dress. A slit rode up to her thigh revealing legs that any man would want wrapped around his waist, then something caught my eye. Right above her knee was a tattoo, a name possibly. Laney had my name tattooed above said knee but I was to far off to see the description. Besides many people have tattoos in this location. I brushed it off as merely my imagination.

Finally the lady came into clear view and a low hum filled the room as everyone knew who she was. It was my babydoll in the arm's of my enemy. My stomach immediately clinched and my hands begin to tremble. Sweat dotted my brow and my rage was that of a dragon. The monster wants out, he's clawing at the door, begging for release. I could smell blood. The monster hasn't been this strong in a long time.

Knowing I couldn't do anything amongst all these people I tried to remain calm. Marcus touched my arm sensing my rage. "Shall we go?"

"Not a chance in hell. There's about to be a massacre and I the serial killer".

I watched as Laney placed her hand into his and the corpse pulled her close. That's right corpse, he's already dead, just doesn't know it. Then the corpse placed a kiss to her lips and sat her down like fine china. He took a seat next to her with his arm draped protectively around her. She smiled up at him and he murmured something that caused that contagious laugh of hers to ring out. The laugh that lit up my life.

I watched as people glanced from them to me. They knew who babydoll belonged to yet wondered why she was here with Luca. I'm also assuming their wondering if they should duck to avoid any bullets that may pass.

My eye's remained on them duiring the dinner. I watched him fucking feed her, attend to her every whim. Finally he leaned back in his seat and glanced around. His eye's met mine and we engaged in a stare strong as any force field. A vile smile lit his face and he leaned over to Laney. Never taking his lethal eye's from my ferocious eye's he ran his tounge up Laney's neck the mouthed.... All mine.