Chapter 33

~Jace

I paced back and forth, my hands locked behind my back and my head pointed downward. Everyone was on edge, tensely sitting on the sofas with their brows knitted together. And by everyone I meant the kings, the generals, Vixen, Axel and I.

This is not happening. This is fūcking not happening, I said to myself over and over again. But it has already happened, Aya went missing and I am the one to blame. She didn't want to come back in the first place but I practically forced her to thinking that it's the best way to keep her safe. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I should have never told her to go back, I should've let her stay in the castle and protected her with my blood. Those bastards were aiming for her in the first place, Veronica getting kidnapped only being part of their plan.

We found a letter in her room saying to meet them in the forest at night and threatening her to hurt her loved ones if she didn't abide by their commands.

Of course, Aya put her family's safety before her own and went out there because of the fear of losing the people she loves. She didn't want to risk our wellbeing and rationally listened to her heart instead of sticking to her mind.

Any person her place would've done the same, not caring about what happens to them as long as they're sure that their family's safe and sound.

How couldn't I have seen this any sooner? They used Veronica to plant fear in my heart –to let me think that the same would happen to Aya, and as a result, they knew I would make her return home. And they strike, it being the perfect opportunity to kidnap the princess in a castle viewed as secure.

I got a call from Vixen this morning saying that Aya's nowhere to be seen. They first thought she was in the garden reading like she usually does but when they checked, they didn't find her.

When I barged into my father's office, he already had that fearsome look on his face meaning that he knew. I didn't need to be told twice, my father and I heading straight to the demons and witches' kingdom only to find the entire castle in chaos.