Chapter 35

~Jace

I drummed my fingers on the desk waiting for Vixen to return. We waited anxiously, the tick of the clock feeling like years instead of just minutes.

Eros had a hand placed under his chin, sweat drippling from his forehead as he looked very deep in thought, his eyes focused on the floor. I gazed back at the screen of my phone and smiled sadly looking at the selfie Aya and I took on our first date.

We looked so carefree, so happy. I was hugging her closely, my hand draped over her shoulder with both of us smiling at the camera. Out of all our pictures, this was my favorite. That same day meant the opening of a new page, void of any people coming in between us.

I knew that going through our pictures would only make me feel more and more miserable. With that said, it was literally like my heart being snatched and crushed for it clenches every time at the thought of her kidnapped.

I let out a sigh pressing two fingers between my eyes and closed them, my mind wandering off to Vixen. Why is he late? It has been an hour since I sent him to check the area around the waterfall.

When I caught the necklace on the ground, I sprinted full at full speed to the castle again. As soon as I got there and showed Eros Aya's necklace, he began barking orders at the generals to send out patrol groups, but I opposed that idea and even Giovanni agreed to that. The fiare aren't that stupid to not spread men around the place they're at, so those groups won't go unnoticed.

We needed one person only, a professional tracker and Vixen was the first in mind – the best of the best. He knew the area like the back of his hand, not to mention his pro skills in tracking and tracing.

He was more than happy to go on this mission, wanting nothing more than to find the place where his best friend is held captive. We agreed that the sole reason of this task is to find their location. Any faults on Vixen's parts such as knocking down the door or killing one of them will lead us back to ground zero.

"It's been over an hour." I slumped against the seat, running a hand through my hair. It's nerve-wracking, waiting while holding on the line of hope, a hope that might remain or die.

"If Vixen took that much time, this means that they are hiding farther than we expected." Eros broke from his trail of thoughts, raising his head so that he was now staring at me.

I still don't understand how could he appear as solid as a rock in the midst of our current situation. Not only is he carrying the burden of his kingdom during this tough time, but he's also experiencing the internal struggle of having his daughter kidnapped and knowing that there's a possibility of her getting harmed.

Yet he made his strength his weapon and that made me respect him even more.

Just thinking of the amount of pressure Eros is under had me feel a pang of distress. It's not easy, not at all and I wished that if someday I were to be in his place, I would have the enough strength and courage to endure this much pressure.