Chapter 42

~Aya

All traces of laughter got wiped off my mate and best friend's faces. The expression they wore were alarming, enough to make anyone we walked past secure off in fright.

We entered his study, and to my surprise he was sitting on one of the couches instead of his usual seat behind his desk, shoulders straight and a leg crossed over the other.

"Take a seat, we have a lot to talk about." He spoke and thankfully enough, his tone wasn't an angry one. I presumed that his meeting with the council hadn't taken a bad turn. Jace and Vixen sat facing my dad, their hands clasped together in front of them whereas I took the place beside him.

"Nothing bad happened right?" I was the first to fire questions. The corner of his lips tugged upward –and though he masked his amusement pretty well, I already knew what he was thinking about.

Always the impatient one, my guess of his thoughts were. But I can't help it, impatience runs in my blood just as it runs in my mother's. As he always used to and still tell me, I'm the absolute replica of my mom.

"No, but I have a feeling that they're planning on letting the verdict be life imprisonment." I couldn't believe my own ears. The council which is supposed to be siding with us to the very extreme, wants to sentence him with such an easy punishment?

"No way in hell am I letting that bastard live." Jace growled, his hands turning into tight fists. I could feel his anger, the frustration and disappointment evident on his features.

"I didn't say we approve of that. Neither I nor the kings will accept such decision. His punishment should be death and nothing other than that." Dad spoke calmly, taking in and understanding Jace's outburst.

I let out the breath I was holding, pleased to know that the kings are with us on this.

"How can they be such fools?" Vixen grit out, incapable of hiding his irritation.

"Dad, are they be able to do so?" I questioned, my voice surprisingly quiet and collected. He straightened up, a dark expression crossing his face.

"They don't withhold that much of power, the decision is in our hands, the kings and I." A burden got lifted off my shoulders and I found myself smiling.

"Well that's a huge relief. That rat deserves to die in the most horrible way for what he has done." Vixen straightened his shoulders, the grimness of his expression easing off.

"When's his trial?" Jace who has been deep in his very own thoughts finally spoke and strangely enough, I felt the mind link between him and I disconnect.

'Jace, you okay?' I spoke through the mind link, but the closure was still there, as if he was blocking me from reaching out to him.

My brows ceased as I stared into the darkness of his eyes, his void face, my lover replaced by the strong merciless alpha he is known to be. I had an intense feeling that what's going on in his head isn't something I'll be too happy about.