Chapter 4: The Funeral

A cool breeze runs through my body as I stand in front of the church. I look up at it, taking in it’s entirety of it’s old rusty composure. Maura would’ve only liked the way it looked, but hated what it represented. Just the fact that she’s in there now makes me want to vomit. I adjust my tie one last time before taking a step into the place. It’s a tad bit empty, a few people are scattered about. I feel stares on me, making me a bit self-conscious. I know it’s because I am pushing a baby stroller. I’m not dumb. And everybody in here know it’s Maura and Hunter’s baby. They aren’t dumb either.

I look around at all the unfamiliar faces, wishing Zayn was here so I wouldn’t have to sit alone. I guess that I will have to for a bit until he shows up. I wasn’t going to pester him about coming to a funeral where he doesn’t even know the people when he’s helped me so much already. He had a class to attend and then said he’d come so he’d witness the burial and end of the ceremony.

Once I find an empty seat, I sit down near the aisle. I just look up towards the front of the church where I see their coffins, black and nice. Behind them is photos of them all together, mainly just Maura and Hunter, but I see a few with me up there and a few with Ben. The flowers are arranged very nicely. I refuse to cry as I look around at all the people dressed in black just as I am myself.

“Can I sit next to you?” a feminine voice says and I look up, surprised to see my mum. I nod, my chin quivering a bit. She motions for me to stand and I do, embracing her in a tight hug, something that I needed greatly.

“I’m so sorry about them. I know you guys were very close,” she whispers in my ear.

“It’s not fair,” I almost cry. I’m holding back the tears as best as I can. I hear Benjamin start whimpering so I pull away from my mum and pick him up and out of his stroller. I also grab a bottle from out of his bag, allowing him to eat. I rock my leg up and down a bit too so it’ll be easier to burp him later on after he’s done. My mum gives me a look of sympathy as she, my dad, and Ruth slide in to the spots next to me.

“I’m sorry for your loss,” each of them mutter as they pass me.

“Do you know who paid for the funeral?” I ask my mum, curious considering that neither of them had a family.

“We knew how much they meant to you, so your father and I did,” she tells me, causing me to widen my eyebrows in surprise. My mother and father didn’t care for Maura once they found out about her engagement. They thought she was crazy to be getting married at the age she was and even more disappointed when they found out about the pregnancy. I guess that they were just always hoping that she and I would get together, but that could never happen. Hunter was her one and only.

“Let’s have the ceremony begin,” the priest up front says, clearing his throat. The music that was playing before stops and I know that it’s my time to zone out. If I listen to all of their words, I will surely relapse. I’ve been holding it in nicely for the past few days, but it’s still hard, ya know? I miss them so fucking much. So instead I think of better days, like when we all went to the lake.

Maura, Hunter, Andy, and I all went to the lake down by the amusement park. Andy brought some food for us to grill and we all wore our swimsuits. It was a nice hot summer day and we all just had a blast hanging out in the water, splashing around and joking. It was the best day of my life if I’m being honest. We were all so carefree and just having fun. We were just being teenagers and it was nice. So fucking nice. I haven’t had a day like that ever since I’ve started UNI. I’m either in class, studying, working, or at the pub. I don’t get carefree weekends and even if I did I wouldn’t want to spend them without Hunter, Maura and Andy.