Chapter 5: Arrangements

I hop off of the bus the next morning, tired as fuck. My eyes are puffy and hurt. I really just want to go home and sleep, perhaps never wake up. That’d be a lovely thing, but I can’t for Benjamin’s sake. I’ve got to better myself for him, so he can have a good life no matter how much I hurt inside.

I look down at the address on the back of Shawny’s card again, making sure I know how to get there. I had googled directions before I left, but my memory isn’t exactly the best right now. Still, of common knowledge, I make my way towards the street where it should be. After a long walk consisting of seeing strange people and pushing weight that I don’t want to. I really hope I’m not late to classes. I know Maura would scold me.

I finally reach the address of where it should be and see quite a bit of rundown flat buildings. In confusion, I look down at the address again. Surely this is the right place, right? There wasn’t a flat number on here so how do I know if this is the right place? God I should’ve researched this more.

“Can I help you mate?” someone says and I turn around to see the bloke from the other day with a bag strewn across his shoulder. Why is such a nice lad down here? His hair isn’t gelled up today, but instead tied back by a bandana. I nod.

“I was uh looking for a Shawny’s daycare,” I tell him and he smiles.

“Right over here,” he tells me. Confused, I walk over towards him. He walks up the stairs and opens the door of the flat where I see the lass from the bus, busy with some children. That’s when it hit me that this bloke must be that Harry she was talking about. She’s lucky to have found someone like him instead of some inconsiderate asshole like me. Her eyes widen once she sees me.

“What is he doing here?” she asks, obviously still mad at me. Harry seems a bit confused at her disliking for me.

“What do you mean? He wants you to take care of his child love,” Harry chuckles a bit nervously.

“Look I’m sorry for what I said the other day and I’ll pay you whatever you want, but I really need you to watch after him,” I practically plead, glancing down at my watch. Classes start in half an hour. Damn. I should’ve given myself more time.

“For your friend’s right? Why didn’t they bring him?” she questions striking a nerve. My eyes begin to water, but I refuse to let her see me cry, any of them for that matter.

“They sort of out of town for a while so I’m watching him and I need someone to watch him during the days so I can keep attending UNI so I can make money and afford care for him,” I explain. She doesn’t seem pleased with my answer too much.

“You know what? I’ll care for this innocent child so he doesn’t have to deal with a person like you,” she tells me, grabbing little Ben before I could say goodbye and heading to the backroom.

“I’m sorry about her. Do you need a ride to the university?” Harry asks me a tad bit confused. I just nod, setting down all of Ben’s things. We walk outside where I notice a gorgeous bike.

“We’ll take Shawny’s car today,” he laughs and walks over to a run-down Mitsubishi, 1997 edition. It’s green paint is starting to peel off, but it’s a ride and I’ll take what I can get. I hop into the passenger seat as he starts the ignition.

“I honestly don’t know what came over her in there. She’s usually so much more kind,” he attempts to apologize. I shake my head, assuring him that it was fine.

“It’s my fault really. I met her a few days ago on the bus and I was kind of a jerk to her. It’s my fault really,” I explain, making him more confused.

“What happened?”

“It’s not really my place to say. I may be an ass, but I don’t share others private information. Let’s just say that I called her out on some shit in a very public way, something that I kind of regret now,” I admit to Harry. He groans, rolling his eyes at me.

“How long ago was this?” he asks me.

“Quite a few days actually,” I tell him.

“So you’re telling me that you’re the reason behind her being so moody lately?” he whines and I feel bad. I shouldn’t have made that scene back there, especially considering that now a days she is saving my arse. I really do need to make a heartfelt apology or some shit.

“I’m sorry. I really am,” I tell him as we pull into the University parking lot.

“I guess it’s fine. You’ve obviously had a lot going on. Just learn to control your anger, alright?” Harry almost growls at me. I nod, knowing that I won’t do anything to jeopardize this again. Them watching Benjamin is all I have so I can get through college and make a much better life for him. I need to get my shit together.  

“I will. Can you watch him a little later tomorrow though? I have tutoring,” I tell him a bit embarrassed. I need him now more than ever though so I can pass my classes. I need to be able to get a good job so I can provide.

“Of course. Just let us know beforehand,” Harry says. He’s literately my life saver at the moment. I could not be more thankful. I thank him for the ride and get out of his car, heading to all of my classes.

I really do try my best to pay attention, but my thoughts just wander. I can’t concentrate this soon. I know that all of my mates are worried about me, but I don’t give a fuck. Getting over Maura and Hunter’s deaths aren’t exactly easy. They had such a huge impact to my life that them leaving wasn’t bound to be a good thing.

When class is over, I couldn’t be more excited. Finally, I can be alone and not have to worry about the stares that I’m receiving. I just want to get away before I lose my mind. I get on the bus and go to my work, checking my shifts on the board. I have tomorrow off, but I work Wednesday. Okay. Cool. I might have to rearrange my tutoring schedule then. I need all the help I can get and he only helps Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

I leave and get back on to the bus heading for the slums of London again so I can pick up Benjamin. The ride is short and I arrive there quite soon. I hop off and walk down the street, knocking on the door where I left Benjamin this morning. I’m soon greeted by Shawny.

“I’m here to get little Ben,” I tell her. She nods, allowing me to come in. I notice him sleeping in his little carrier. Shawny tells me that he was easy to take care of during the day and that she wouldn’t mind watching him again, telling me we’ll discuss payments a little later. I thank her again, leaving. I walk up to the bus station and I sit there, waiting for the next bus until Harry sees me and offers me a ride home, something I accept gratefully.

“Thank you again Harry,” I tell him as he drops us off.

“Don’t mention it,” he replies and drives away. I then make my way inside, thinking about the little creation that Maura and Hunter made. Why couldn’t they be here to take care of him? I’m not one used to working this hard for something. It’s difficult.

I walk in to the dorm room and set Ben’s carrier down. I unbuckle him and put him in his crib. I then proceed to take out my homework, doing my work for all of my classes. By the time I’m done, I see Zayn walking in.

“Oh thank god,” I say in greeting as I pull out an alcoholic beverage from the mini-fridge we have.  I’ve been working too hard and I need to relax. I notice Zayn’s shock and disapproval, but I could no longer give a fuck. I need this.