Chapter 10: Plans

Chapter 10: Plans

After school, I attended work as per normal. I have been picking up extra shifts as Zayn suggested to me, making it so I can improve Benjamin’s life and mine. I want to better things for myself now and I have no one to thank for that, but Maura and Hunter. I need to be able to take care of their son and to do that I need to better myself too, even if I’m only in my Wendy’s uniform.

I can still make the girls swoon with it though.

It actually surprises me by how many girls like to be flirted with while ordering a burger or salad. I just have a tendency to know the right thing to say or do when around them though. It’s quite strange, their reactions. I don’t look my best at all, but it still gets them.

I sadly do have to change my ways though for I cannot have Benjamin growing up with a new “mother” every other day. I grew up that way and it wasn’t a nice experience. The day my mother finally settled down and with my actual biological dad was the best day of my life. Maybe her actions from before though have caused me to be this way. Who knows?

I climb on to the bus, looking at the bus driver as to of whom I’m so accustomed to now.  She still doesn’t know me all that well though considering a lot of UNI students ride this bus. I take a seat near the back, changing the song on my phone. The joy that overcomes me when Blame It by Jamie Foxx comes on is strange, but pleasurable. I haven’t heard this tune in a while and it’s nice to change it up sometimes.

The bus comes to the familiar stop and I get off. I walk down the crowded sidewalk, paper flying past me. I say hello to some of the people I pass, knowing them a bit more now. I see everybody down here so much now that it’s normal and they greet me often.

I finally see the familiarity of Shawny’s place and I walk in, almost feeling like family now. It’s weird, but I just spend so much time here now that we’re quite close. I’ve invested so much trust in to her and Harry that I don’t know what else to consider them.

“How was he?” I ask as I pick up the baby. He’s grown quite a bit now considering that he’s probably around a month, month and a half. I can’t wait until he’s bigger so I can finally start doing things with him.

“Horrid. He cried nonstop today, for no reason. He should be out for a while now though. He overworked himself,” Shawny tells me, rubbing the back of her neck. I know it must be tiring, watching all of these children and you could tell it was taking a toll due to the bags under her eyes.

“You should rest,” I tell her.

“I still have some kids here and Harry is studying at the library,” she tells me.

“I can watch them for a little bit. It’s not a hassle. I’ll make Harry give me a ride when he’s home,”  I tell her.

“Thanks Liam. You’re the best,” Shawny replies, giving me a kiss on the cheek before rushing up the stairs. I already know about the weird quirks about these kids due to Harry and Shawny informing me on my many visits. I can do this. I set Benjamin down in his carrier, rocking him so he can sleep. Once he’s out, I look at all the children that are running around, causing havoc.

“Hey!” I shout, scaring all of them half to death. I know that I sounded mean and scary, but they needed to stop and listen.

“Gather round,” I tell them all. They do as I say cautiously, sitting in rows in front of me, holding whatever toy they have. Not many children are still here, only about six or seven. This can’t be too hard.

“Shawny went upstairs to relax a bit so I’m in charge of you guys. What would you all like to do?” I ask, watching them all intently as they just stare at me. They don’t respond to me. Well, great. I’m just such a child person.

“How about we uh um dance or something? We could do art?” I don’t fucking know at this point. Why did I offer to watch these kids? I’m not good at this.

“Dance,” one of the little girls shouts and the others start agreeing with her. Dancing it is then.

~

An hour later, we are all dancing still, choreographing our own routines. They shout along the lyrics to the songs the come on shuffle on my phone, laughing along as they do silly moves. I made sure not to turn it up too loud for Shawny and a few other kids are sleeping.

“What the fuck are you all listening to?” a familiar voice says and my head snaps to see Harry walking in. He covers his mouth in shame at his vulgar language. What are we listening to? I listen to the lyrics, noticing that it’s To the Window, To the Wall, by Lil John I believe. I don’t even know if that’s the right title, but that’s how it downloaded on to my phone.

“Just a little rap. They’re enjoying it mate,” I laugh.

“Where’s Shawny?” he asks, obviously tired and frustrated.

“Sleeping. I offered to watch them for a bit so she could relax,” I inform him. He shakes his head, looking at the children. It’s funny to watch them dance around. Even Harry is holding back a chuckle.

“Do you think you could give us a ride home? It’s quite late,” I ask him. He groans, muttering something about needing to wake up Shawny first and then he’d drive me. I watch him march up the stairs as I go to gather my belongings, turning off the music. I apologize to the children, telling them I’m sorry but I have to go. They all just cry and go to bed. I’m pretty pleased with how I handled them.

“Let’s go,” Harry says as he reaches the bottom of the stairs. I agree, stepping outside and getting in to the car. I buckle in Benjamin, watching him peacefully sleep. The drive to my place is short and silent. I thank Harry for driving me as I get out with Ben, going inside.

“Where’ve you been mate?” Zayn asks upon my entering.

“With Ben,” I reply, sitting on my bed after setting the baby down. I take off my shoes, relaxing a bit. I really need to shower.

“Well it took you long enough,” Zayn snorts from the bed next to mine. I roll my eyes at his behavior, removing my shirt to fully relax.

“Calm your tits,” I tell him, looking over to find Ben still sleeping. It’s a bloody miracle.

“I just wanted to tell you to not make plans for Friday. We’re going to the London Eye,” he tells me. I’d normally protest, but I’ve never been there and it’d be nice to get out do something again. I just nod, plopping myself back on to the bed.

“Alright. Who’s all going to be there?” I ask, curious.

“Just you, me, and Hazel,” he says. I raise an eyebrow at him.

“C’mon mate. I just want my two best friends to get along. Plus she seemed pretty interested in you,” he tells me, wiggling my eyebrows.

“Isn’t she yours and off limits?” I ask him.

“Not that has ever stopped you before, no. She’s like a sister to me. I don’t think I could ever date her mate. That would just be weird, ya know?” he shudders. I laugh a bit as his words.

“I’m still sorry over that. I didn’t know she was yours,” I respond.

“Let’s let by-gones be by-gones. Besides, you got an ass kicking out of that that was totally worth it,” he chuckles.

“I know. I still have a scar to prove it,” I joke along.

“You’re a pussy,” he counters, still laughing as he looks at his notebook. He’s a cartoonist right now, hoping to get somewhere with his art someday. I think he could do really well someday.

“I know mate. That reminds me. You need to watch Benjamin for a bit tomorrow so I can head to the gym. I need to get you back for that,” I tell him.

“I’d love to see you try Payne,” he responds, glancing at me.

“You’re on Malik.”