Chapter 18: Phone Call

I clap as Benjamin starts to take a step. Dakota is holding him to keep him steady. I am encouraging him to move towards me. I can Zayn is a bit jealous that Dakota is wanting to spend all of her time here now since she found out I father a child, well kind of. I never thought that such a bitch like her would become so soft in the presence of a child.

"Liam, we're supposed to be studying," Niall groans from his spinny chair at the desk.

"Wait, I think he might actually do it this time," I say to him. Benjamin is a strong baby for his age. He's quite tall and teething, which is annoying. Most mothers would think he's about nine months when in reality he's nearly seven months. I still don't take him out much considering I don't want to handle the ridicule from the other bloke's in our dorms, but he's becoming more curious and wants to go outside. Christmas is in a week and he's very excited.

"C'mon little Ben,"  I say in an attempt to get him to move. He lifts his foot up, but would have fallen if Dakota wasn't there to help him. Damn. I thought he really had it this time.

"You're expecting too much of him," Zayn laughs as I scoop up the baby in my arms. He giggles as I tickle his tummy, screaming "da-da" the entire time. I laugh in response, excited for his first Christmas to be next week. I've already got him a bunch of toys and I can't wait to see his response.

Eventually, I put Benjamin in his bouncy chair. It has wheels on the bottom so he can walk around the room and start strengthening his legs. He likes to bounce on it too and pull at the little stuffed edges. It's designed to be a dinosaur and he loves it. The moment his feet touch the ground, he starts bouncing. I smile as I take a seat on my bed.

"You're really embracing this parenting thing now arent ya mate," Niall says to me. I just nod.

"I kind of like knowing that I can give him a good childhood even though he doesn't have his parents. It scared me at first, having so much responsibility and I have to admit that I was sort of an asshole and grouch. I don't know exactly what happened, but he grew on me," I tell them.

"Well, I'm just glad that I'm not doing everything now," Zayn laughs as Niall and Dakota join in. I just flip off my best mate as my phone starts to ring.

"Is that your girlfriend?" Zayn continues to tease. I can't deny the way that butterflies swarm my stomach though at the mention of Hazel. I would never admit it out loud, but stomach does flip flops. I can't believe she and I have almost been together for a month now.

"As a matter of fact, it is," I stick my tongue out and exit in to the hallway which causes Niall to become frustrated. He doesn't want me going off the rails with my studies, but I want some leisure time too. Break has just started.

"Hey baby," I say as I answer the phone.

"Hi Liam," she sighs. It's one full of happiness and I like that I can make her swoon even though we haven't done anything physical yet, something that would really blow her away.

"How has your day been?" I ask her.

"Good. People at work are finally warming up to me," she says. It's only her third week at her work, but I'm proud of her. She's really trying so she won't have to leave here, leave me.

"That's good to hear," I respond.

"Yeah, but I'm bored. We should go out and do something," she says. She's probably just lounging around her hotel room, bored and wanting to get out.

"I can't today. I work tonight, but tomorrow we'll definitely do something," I tell her.

"Alright that works. Should I go to your dorm beforehand or?" she asks.

"No! I'll just meet you at your room," I yell, freaking out a bit. It's harder to hide all of Benjamin's stuff now.

"Oh okay. I'll see you then then," she sighs.

"I'll see you then baby. Have a nice night. I'll text you," I tell her.

"Bye," she replies.

"Bye," I say and hang up. I then head inside, but I notice the way that Dakota has her arms crossed. Fuck. She's looking for a fight. I look away though as Benjamin's bouncy chair his my leg. He's been so clingy lately, I don't understand it.

"Let me guess, Hazel asked to come over again and you said no?" Dakota asks me.

"Not necesarily. She just wanted to meet at my room so we could go out tomorrow," I explain and Zayn groans.

"Mate, you need to tell her about Ben already. She's been here for how long now? Almost four months and you've been dating her for one. I miss seeing her around all the time," Zayn complains. I know he's right, but I can't deny that I'm still scared of how she'll end up reacting. It's not a pretty image to imagine. I don't think I could handle rejection in my life right now.

"I will soon, it's just scary," I admit to them.

"I bet she would've took it fine if you would have told her straight up. Now that you've waited of course she's going to be upset," Zayn says. I know he's right, but I don't want to admit that.

"I'll tell her soon," I say though I don't know for sure when I willl tell her.