Chapter 17: Reasons

Chapter 17: Reasons

"Go home? You just got here," I exclaim, dumbfounded. I have finally found a girl who somewhat likes me for me and not because I'm just attractive. It's different and I like it. I don't want it to end.

I don't want her to leave me even though she's technically not mine to begin with. I don't want to think of her as anyone's property, a feeling she's probably used to from Elijah. I've never met an abuse victim , but I've learned about these situations in my sociology class so I know what to expect a little bit.

"I know and I don't want to leave, but I can't find a reason to stay," she says. Ouch. I frown at her words, not knowing how to respond. I just look straight ahead, not knowing how to respond to her.

"Liam, I didn't mean it that way," she says upon realizing her mistake. Why am I so emotional about this? I normally don't care, but Hazel just has me so taken with her. I don't want her to go yet, but like she said, she doesn't have any reason to stay.

"It's okay. I understand," I tell her. She mustn't feel the same way about me as I apparently do her. She's just scared to go back to Elijah.

"No you don't. It's just I haven't even talked to Zayn since that night at dinner. He's been so preoccupied with Dakota and I have no other friends out here besides you and I don't even know what we are. It's just stressful and everyone back home misses me and I can't even start classes out here until next fall and that's if I'm still up for it. I'm running out of money to even maintain the hotel I'm staying at. I just don't know what to do," she cries and I feel a little guilty for only thinking about myself. How could I be so selfish? How could I not get her take first? I'm just full of mistakes lately along with questions and I'm tired of it. I want to be smart and do things right.

"You have just labeled the pros and cons, well mainly cons. It makes sense for you to go home I guess," I sigh. I notice she's done crying, but she's still breathing hard.

"Would you consider yourself a con too Liam?" I ask.

"I uh. I'm not sure. I don't know where we stand. Are we friends or are we more? Are we just flirt buddies? Am I just a phase, another woman? Or are we actually something? You're the only thing that's making me not want to leave," she confesses and I have to admit that that was  quite random and jumpy, but I understand the moral of the question.

"I care about you a lot," I tell her. I don't know what to say. I don't want to hold her back.

I have to admit that she's filled a hole inside me at least somewhat since the incident with Maura and Hunter. I've used most of that emptiness to give life and happiness to Benjamin, but I didn't have happiness for myself and having Hazel around has given me some. I don't know what to do about it though.

"I care about you a lot too, probably more than I should," she tells me.

"I don't know what we can do about this if you're leaving," I tell her being reasonable. I don't know if long distance will work and with Elijah I know it work if she goes home.

"If you ask me to stay, I will," she says. I don't think it's a fair shot she just took at me considering that I care about her and want her to happy, but I don't want her to go home if Elijah is going to hurt her. I can't win.

"That's unfair because you know I want you to stay," I counter.

"Then ask," she pleads. That's the moment when I realize she wants to stay too. She just wants a reason and we both care for the other so I'm the perfect target, something I don't mind at this moment.

"Only if you'll be my girlfriend. I don't want just some stupid fling if I do ask you to. This is serious and I don't want to be a waste of time that ruins your happiness," I tell her. She seems dumbfounded at my question. I do have to admit that I was a bit bold, but that's because I have never had a real girlfriend. I'm known for my one night stands and stupid flings, but I've never wanted to settle down before. I blame Benjamin.

"Lately, you've become a big source of my happiness. I can't wait for our little text message conversations or just the times where we'll see each other again. So even though something's just barely starting, yes, I'll be your girlfriend. I'll take the chance," she says and I can't help the huge grin that envelops my face. I hurry to wrap my arms around her and kiss her forehead.

"Please don't go," I tell her, holding up to my word.

"I won't."

~~

A/N: Tbh i really do hate this chapter sorry. I might rewrite it later.

Alex xx