Chapter 16: Past

Chapter 16: Past

This past week I've been way more accepting of Benjamin. I've accepted the fact that I'm his father as weird as it may be. I don't want to replace Hunter, but I'll do my best to be a good step in. I don't want to sulk at the milestones in Benjamin's life, I want to embrace them. He's actually been talking a lot even though nobody can understand the gibberish that leaves his mouth. He's crawling everywhere now too and I'm excited for him to start walking.

I'm actually just leaving work so I can go pick him up from Harry's. I want to work on his speech and maybe trying to get him to walk. I wait at the bus stop listening to my tunes with a smile on my face like the old days. The bus driver is obviously surprised when she sees my face.

"You haven't worn one of those in awhile," she comments.

"I know. I went through a rough patch, but everything's falling in to place again," I admit as I go to take a seat on the bus. She's obviously very surprised, but I don't care at this point. I was about to start singing the chorus when my music stopped and my phone started vibrating in my pocket. I slide the device out and glance at the caller ID before answering it.

"Hazel?" I question.

"Hey Liam. Are you doing anything right now?" She sniffles.

"Are you okay? What's wrong?" I ask, concern radiating from me. We haven't seen each other since that horrendous dinner even though we've been talking a bit. I still fancy her quite a bit, but I've never really fancied someone before. It's always been a quick fuck or a little flirt. I've never actually tried having a relationship and it's proven to be quite difficult.

"Am I really that obvious? I just need someone to talk to right now. I'm not in the best mind frame," she admits.

"Did you want me to meet you somewhere?" I ask her.

"I'm actually at the park right now if you want to come here," she says.

"What are you doing at a park? It's freezing," I tell her.

"I just needed some fresh air," she admits.

"Okay. I'll be there soon," I tell her.

"Okay. See you then," she responds then hangs up. It's still amazing to me that we've known each other for quite awhile now, but we've been almost a 'thing' for a week. How does this stuff work? She's been out here for a month. Since when am I taken so easily? Sighing, I take out my phone again and dial up Shawny who answers upon the second ring.

"Hello?" She questions.

"Hey it's Liam. Do you think you can hold Benjamin there a little longer? Something came up, but I'll send Zayn there to get him real soon," I tell her.

"I guess. He's been good today but I think he'll miss you," she tries guilt tripping me. What a butt.

"Okay, I miss him too. Thank you again. Bye," I reply before hanging up. I shoot Zayn a quick text telling him that he needs to swing by and pick up Benjamin because something is wrong with Hazel. He's obviously concerned about his best friend, but understands that she asked for me and not him. He says he'll talk to her later. Thankfully the bus stops across the street from the park. I go to get off and wait for the bus to drive away before running across the street, a few cars honking at me. Hazel is laughing the moment I reach her.

"You're a dork," she smiles even though her face is red. She looks gorgeous even though a big puffy coat covers most of her body. A pair of skinny jeans hug her legs along with combat boots adorning her feet.

"I take offense," I reply and she laughs more. I sit down on the bench next to her, intwining our fingers together. Her hands are cold.

"So what's up?" I ask her and she tenses a bit.

"If I tell you, I don't want you to judge me. It's a dark secret," she says and I nod, not really sure where this is going.

"I promise you I won't. I like you too much to do that," I reply nudging her arm. I'm awkward in situations like this so I like to keep the mood light.

"It's about the reason I've been out here for so long...It's just complicated and I want you to keep an open mind," she tells me.

"Okay," I tell her, squeezing her hand in concern. It can't be that bad, can it?

"Well, it all started about two years ago. I was in year 11 and I met this bloke. His name is Elijah. Things went great. We started seeing each other more and more frequently, but after a little bit things changed. He became super obsessive and protective. If I left his sight, he'd get super angry," She says staring off in to the distance. I have a feeling I know where this is going and I don't like it.

"How angry did he get?" I ask. Part of me wants to know the answer while the other half wants to just run away and forget about this drama.

"He'd uh, well I guess you could say he'd get so mad that he'd uh get violent," she says. I can tell she isn't comfortable with the topic by the way that she starts messing with her hair.

"Did he ever hit you?" I ask her. It's something that I need to know. This crazed psycho needs to go to jail if he ever did.

"At first no. He'd just throw tantrums and break things, but then it got worse and I don't know what I did wrong," she says, her voice cracking a bit.

"You didn't do anything wrong," I tell her.

"Yeah I did. I did everything wrong," she cries.

"You were doing so good. What made you think about him and want to tell me now?" I ask.

"He wants me to go home."