PROLOGUE

twitter : breannonhop
Instagram : shesouneique
"C'mon Nick, Mom didn't mean what she said...you know how she is when she's drunk" I tried persuading my 11 year old brother to climb down the tree he climbed up and come home.

"Nah Kelly, ma knew what she was saying. Just how they say a drunk man tells his mind a drunk women do too" he said with his arms crossed over his chest."I wish daddy was here with us". He looked up at the night sky and counted the stars. Believing his father was one.

Kelly sighed and sat down on the sidewalk, close enough for she could see Nick."Nickolas, come for me? You know you cold up there" she said with a chuckle."you can sleep in my room, I got snacks under my bed"

"Dammit, I'm going to regret telling him that I'n a couple of days" she thought to herself.

She looked around the projects. She didn't like being out this late due to all the crime committed at night. She only came out to get her brother.

Since she knew her mother wasn't going to.

Kelly pushed her box braid out of her face and huffed. She began blowing air to create smoke. That's how cold it was outside.

"See, look at that. I just made smoke with my breath. Get yo' ass down before we get sick!" She said getting annoyed. She understood how nick felt because her mother also talked down to her while drunk.

She grew used to it and just tuned her out.

"Nah Kell, ya' breath just hot" he said giggling. He started his way down before both kids heard two gunshots.

"Come on Nick, hurry" she said not yelling. She knew whoever was shooting would hear her and she didn't need risking of her and her brothers life.

Nick hopped down from the tree and they started to run."follow me" Kelly said taking a cut. Nick did as told and ran as fast as he could.

"Ahh!" Nick called out. He had on Nike flops, and he had tripped over a rock. Kelly quickly turned around and went to her brothers aid.

"Gosh dang it nick, come on I'll heal you when we get home" she said looking at his ankle, that was turning purple and blue on his light brown skin.

She picked him up and put Nick on her back. He was heavy but she didn't care right now.

"Why did he have to run to a tree so far from our house?" She thought before turning around to run.

"Oh my god" she said scared. As soon as she was bout to run a boy who looked older than, but still in his teens stood there.

He had a gun in his hand and his eyes were black. He looked pissed."we didn't see anything" Kelly said.

Two other men ran up, stopping behind the one in front of her.

He looked deeply into her eyes. Then he looked at her little brother who was on her back.

"What you gon' do mane? Shoot her or what?" One of the dudes behind him said. He held his gun up in a "wait" motion.

He continued to stare at Kelly making her uncomfortable." I promise you, we not no snitches" she said.

"Whats your name?" He asked lowly. Even though he talked low you could still tell his voice was deep.

"What the fuck is this nigga doing" one of the dudes said.

"Ny-Nykell" Kelly said saying her real name.She cursed herself mentally for doing that.

He stepped closer to her. She was froze, didn't know what to do.

She honestly thought this was her last few minutes living.

"What's your name?" Nick asked. The boy looked at him and smirked.

"Woowoo"

The sound of police sirens filled the air."Shit let's bounce!" The other dude behind him said. They began running.

Woowoo stayed there for a minute looking into Kelly's eyes. He looked like he was looking for something.

He began running as well. Kelly took a deep breath and as well ran. Lucky for them their apartment was the next section.

When they made it to their building they ran inside. Their mom was knocked out on the couch sleep. She woke up, not all the way. And said."get y'all bad asses upstairs. I didn't give y'all permission to leave my house"

"But mom-"

"Shh boy! What I just say? Don't make me go get my belt!"

She fell back asleep that quick. Kelly carried Nick up to her room and put him on the bed.

Kelly immediately hugged nick. Thankful nothing happened to neither of them. He tightly hugged her back.

"Wow, god must've been on our side tonight" Kelly said pulling away from the hug. She looked down at nicks ankle."oh yeah!" She hopped up and ran downstairs grabbing a pack of frozen broccoli from the freezer.

She ran back upstairs and handed the frozen vegetables to her brother."put that in there"

"We'll ask mommy to take you to the emergency tomorrow" Kelly said pulling her box braids into a low back ponytail.

"Is we telling Ma' about what happened tonight?" Nick ask.

"Do you think she'll care?" Kelly said rolling her eyes thinking about how careless, selfish, and non-affectionate her Mom was becoming.

Nick did as told putting the ice pack on his ankle  and laid back on her bed.

"Kelly, can you promise me something?" Nick said out of the blue.

"You know I got you nick, wassup?" Kelly said grabbing her inhaler from her dresser. She took a few pumps.

"Never leave me, your my bestfriend" He said siting up. He looked at Kelly through the dresser mirror as she looked at him through the mirror as well.

"Your my bestfriend too nick, I'll never leave you. If I do I'll come right back to get you. We gon' live lavish"

"Ight Project princess" nick said smiling. He liked the sound of that. To be honest as long as he was with his sister he was happy.

Everyone called Kelly project princess because that's what she was. She was the princess of the projects. She had respect from everyone. Mostly because of who her father is, or was.Her mother was the queen but was slowly loosing her title.

As she lost herself.

"We gon' be straight" Kelly said looking at herself through the mirror.

"Believe that"